PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Should I install the latest LTS?

anotherChris
January 20th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I am going to try installing Lubuntu. On the Lubuntu Help pages, it says

Upgrades are possible from one release to the next and from one LTS to the next LTS.

Since there is a new LTS scheduled for April 2016, should I install the most recent release, or should I install the most recent LTS and then upgrade in April?

P.S. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 from circa 2010 with 2GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive. It came pre-installed with Ubuntu, and my friend installed Lubuntu once for me circa 2012.

ajgreeny
January 20th, 2016, 01:02 PM
You can upgrade from either the current LTS (14.04) or the most recent version (15.10) to the next LTS version (16.04) so if you are certain that you will move to 16.04 soon after it's released it will make little difference which you choose now.

I have not used Lubuntu 15.10 so I'm unaware of the bugs that it may suffer from, but I do have Lubuntu 14.04 on an old netbook and it is very fast and stable, and I believe is an excellent OS for that type of hardware. Your hardware would also be able to run Xubuntu if you like the XFCE desktop. It is similar in general layout, but much more configurable in my opinion.

sudodus
January 21st, 2016, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

Try both Lubuntu and Xubuntu and maybe also Ubuntu MATE, and also 14.04.3 LTS and 15.10 live (without installing). Install the flavour that you like the best! See this link,

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

anotherChris
January 22nd, 2016, 02:40 AM
Thank you for the replies. I don't know a lot about the various Ubuntu releases, and a quick look at Xubuntu makes it seem like Lubuntu with fancier graphics, which I don't care about, so I skipped it. If Xubuntu has functionality over Lubuntu that goes beyond look and feel, it would be a useful addition to pages that have information about Xubuntu, like Wikipedia and Xubuntu.org

I have gotten as far as creating a LiveCD with Lubuntu 15.10, but I am having trouble with the Wi-Fi, and the help pages at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
are written for 14.04, so I am thinking maybe I need to go back and start over to install 14.04. But I will detail this in a separate thread.

Anyhow, thanks for your advice!

sudodus
January 22nd, 2016, 06:41 AM
If you have problems with audio, it might help to install pulseaudio and pavucontrol in Lubuntu. (Those packages come with Xubuntu.)

And yes, asking about wifi in a separate thread is the best way to get help. Good luck :-)