PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows xp professional

levi8
January 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
i've loaded ubuntu and dual loaded windows xp professional. when i select windows xp professional it just loads a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. i am EXTREMELY new to all this and would appreciate a walk through on how to fix it. i've read something along the lines of using a hex editor to solve the problem but have no idea where to begin with that. can somebody PLEASE help?

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Welcome. Try Boot Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair). That gives you the option to create a bootinfo script and provides a link to the script. Post that link here.

I'm presuming you installed Win second? Which release of Ubuntu are you using (please include that detail in all future support threads, please :).

mörgæs
January 19th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Are you aware that XP is unsupported meaning that no security bug fixes have been released for a long time?

yancek
January 19th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Run and post the boot repair. Your problem is with windows. Once you click the windows entry on the Grub menu, you are on the windows partition using the windows bootloader. Also, did you install xp after Ubuntu?

Bucky Ball
January 19th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Also, did you install xp after Ubuntu?

Ever experienced deja vu? I'm doing that now. ;)