PDA

View Full Version : GDM won't start after 15.10 upgrade

OldSmoky2
January 17th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I upgraded today from Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10 on my Dell Inspiron desktop PC. I'm running Ubuntu but I installed Gnome Desktop some time back as I prefer it to Unity. When I try to restart after the 15.10 upgrade, it hangs when it tries to start Gnome Display Manager. I get a bunch of lines about processes starting on the screen. The last line is "[OK] Started Gnome Display Manager." Then nothing else happens.
Two points that might help point to an answer: I recall that when I installed GDE (from the Software Center) it asked me if I wanted to switch to GDM. I said yes and it's worked fine in 15.04. Also, during today's upgrade to 15.10 it asked me if I wanted to keep my custom .Config file or use the recommended one. I chose the recommended file. So perhaps there was something in there related to using GDM?
I've looked at some other GDM-related posts here in the forums, none the same as mine, but from reading them I'm wondering if there is a way I can start LightDM from a terminal to get back to a log-in screen and display. Or perhaps the solution is to do something else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.