PDA

View Full Version : GRUB is very slow when booting

Steam.
January 17th, 2016, 02:25 PM
When my PC boots, the grub menu is like a slide show.Goes up, then down, then up again to list all the options, the screen update is so slow, even the keypresses respond after a second or two.I don't know what to do, resolution in grub is 640x480, my monitor's default res should be 1920x1080, I have a GTX 760. It is very annoying as I tend to waste an extra 20 seconds scrolling through the options.

grahammechanical
January 17th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Remember, the Grub menu is loaded before Linux is loaded and therefore before a video driver is loaded. Grub is using the default screen resolution set by the motherboard. And that motherboard setting is designed to be compatible with any monitor attached to the motherboard. Grub does not know the default resolution of the monitor and Grub does not care that it does not know.

It is possible to change the size of the text used in the Grub boot menu to make it smaller. But this is really a side issue. Is it not?

When you enter the motherboard boot system settings utility (UEFI) does it behave as it should? Or is screen update also slow? And the key presses slow to respond?

Regards.

ajgreeny
January 17th, 2016, 05:23 PM
How many options in the grub menu do you get?

Normally there will not be many showing on the grub menu screen as it now uses a separate menu page for the Advanced options, ie, all the older kernels on the system that would not normally be needed when booting.

Lets see the output of terminal command
dpkg -l linux-image*

Steam.
January 18th, 2016, 12:46 AM
How many options in the grub menu do you get?

Normally there will not be many showing on the grub menu screen as it now uses a separate menu page for the Advanced options, ie, all the older kernels on the system that would not normally be needed when booting.

Lets see the output of terminal command
dpkg -l linux-image*

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un linux-image <none> <none> (no description available)
un linux-image-3. <none> <none> (no description available)
ii linux-image-4. 4.2.0-16.19 amd64 Linux kernel image for version 4.
ii linux-image-ex 4.2.0-16.19 amd64 Linux kernel extra modules for ve

I also have my windows options, as I dualboot linux and Windows, below the ubuntu options. Also I do not have a UEFI board, for the guy above. MSI X58 PRO-E here. And the BIOS is swift. It does not do this when I use the windows bootloader per se, or anything else. Just grub. It is not supposed to be like that, is all I know. I've had older versions of Ubuntu installed wayyy before, and it didn't go this slow. It is literally a slideshow.

oldfred
January 18th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Have you installed the nVidia proprietary driver, from repository?

And check available video modes with vbeinfo (only in grub)?
From a grub command line to see available settings pressing <c> & escape to get back to menu
vbeinfo

Grub tries now to use screen size settings from Ubuntu installer.
But, you can set a fixed size, best to change to your correct size if availabe per vbeinfo:

Use command line editor grub's on set gfxmode=640x480
and just remove the # as that makes that line a comment.
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
or
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
# then
sudo update-grub

Details on settings in /etc/default/grub
info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

`GRUB_GFXMODE'
Set the resolution used on the `gfxterm' graphical terminal. Note
that you can only use modes which your graphics card supports via
VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE), so for example native LCD panel
resolutions may not be available. The default is `auto', which
tries to select a preferred resolution. *Note gfxmode::.

Steam.
January 20th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Have you installed the nVidia proprietary driver, from repository?

And check available video modes with vbeinfo (only in grub)?
From a grub command line to see available settings pressing <c> & escape to get back to menu
vbeinfo

Grub tries now to use screen size settings from Ubuntu installer.
But, you can set a fixed size, best to change to your correct size if availabe per vbeinfo:

Use command line editor grub's on set gfxmode=640x480
and just remove the # as that makes that line a comment.
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
or
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
# then
sudo update-grub

Details on settings in /etc/default/grub
info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

I've set it now to 1920x1080x32, but it still is the same thing.As my english isn't the best, I can't exactly google for what I want to tell you, and this thread here (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=195567)describes the guy having the same thing, screen clearing from bottom to top. Also I am using this driver, as gaming performance is best with it.

http://i.imgur.com/v7f4eos.png

oldfred
January 20th, 2016, 03:48 PM
That looks like it should be a good nVidia driver.
Did you only install that one?
And did you check while rebooting and grub command line vbeinfo?