PDA

View Full Version : been a month or so now... :D

Kris_M
January 16th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Spent a lifetime on windows. (win7)
Been on Ubuntu 14.04.3 Unity for about a month now. Love it. Haven't needed win. Very nice!!!
Okay, back to playing NWN2 and other important stuff!!! :D

:popcorn:

Sableyes
January 16th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Then give it a sudo apt-get install steam , then visit humblebundle.com and get some more up to date games :)

NW 1 & 2 were great but cripes dated now! :)

JayKay3OOO
January 16th, 2016, 09:59 PM
We'll see in 6 months...
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/nwn2/images/2/21/PHB35_PG27_WEB.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20051217030215

Kris_M
January 16th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Then give it a sudo apt-get install steam , then visit humblebundle.com and get some more up to date games :)

NW 1 & 2 were great but cripes dated now! :)

What do you suggest? (that you have installed and played under Linux!)

I own UU1&2, Stonekeep, and NWN2 addons (MOTB, SOZ, MOW, etc), none of which can I get to work under Ubuntu playonlinux. I'm a bit hesitant to spend money unless someone has it running!. No interest in COD and the like...

Thanks!

Kris_M
January 16th, 2016, 11:10 PM
We'll see in 6 months...
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/nwn2/images/2/21/PHB35_PG27_WEB.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20051217030215

yeah, a year or 2... :D

Sableyes
January 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Steam has native Linux games support. Install the steam client, and browse the Linux games.

Same with the humble bundle store. Either keep an eye out for bundles with Linux games or go to the humble bundle store and look click the Linux button in the filters.

I like RP games and online games, all the Shadow run games work on my netbook. No need for wine or playonlinux.

With regards to your gaming tastes, can't remember off the top of my head what it's called but I know on Steam there is a D&D game that works natively on Linux.

Kris_M
January 17th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks! I'll look into it! :D

Bucky Ball
January 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Glad you're enjoying the switch and hope that enjoyment continues. :D

Kris_M
January 17th, 2016, 06:43 PM
:d:d

uhoh - why is : cap D changing to : small d? MAJOR EMERGENCY!!! :)

Bucky Ball
January 17th, 2016, 08:20 PM
That happens sometimes. Haven't worked out why, but don't panic. It is a known forum oddity. :D

Post something in Forum Feedback & Help about it if you're so inclined.

Kris_M
January 17th, 2016, 09:18 PM
that happens sometimes. Haven't worked out why, but don't panic. It is a known forum oddity. :d

post something in forum feedback & help about it if you're so inclined.

lol panic!!! :D :D :D :D:D:D

cleared all cookies for ubuntu forum. next time I'll try to figure out WHICH cookie...

Kris_M
January 21st, 2016, 04:34 AM
A little more time has passed...
Put up :
NWN2 complete(NWN2, MOTB, SOZ; from GOG)
Auction Defender
Audacity
Google earth
Kyodai Mahjongg
Solar Fire 731
Sherlock
SiteSpinner
PySolitaire (very old Python based)
"FurMark"
Skype and webcam and mike (Camera Monitor)

A few of those needed playonlinux and I seem to be much more at ease with it.
I am running out of things that I "might" need win for.

As to more recent games, I have done a lot of looking but not running into anything rpg that has a better engine than NWN2 or MOTB. There's a ton of pre-Ultima Underworld stuff out there. I have Divinity 2 flagged but not looked at it closely.

Been very fruitful!

sammiev
January 21st, 2016, 06:32 AM
After just 1 month... My hat goes off to you... :)

Kris_M
January 21st, 2016, 06:49 AM
Actually, MY hat goes off to all the folks whose efforts went in to 14.04.3 !!! Wine and PlayonLinux are fantastic. It took me a few days to get the jist of it but now it seems easy. Simple! That old Python thing? - 2 tries and poof! Native Audacity? Google earth? "FurMark"? - amazing!!! And with clonezilla and rescaTux on USB flash drives, I don't lose ground when I screw up!

Also, tons of VERY helpful/knowledgeable folks here. And a wealth of info on Ubuntu available via google.

I keep finding "it just works"!

sammiev
January 21st, 2016, 06:54 AM
Clonezilla is my best friend while learning something new.

Can fix a large mistake in 5 mins. ( While learning dd ) LOL

Kris_M
January 21st, 2016, 06:56 AM
Clonezilla is my best friend while learning something new.

Can fix a large mistake in 5 mins. ( While learning dd ) LOL

Yes - I yesterday installed a massive program to test, didn't happen to like it - poof! gone! I have used it perhaps 20 times to back off my booboos. What an easy simple lifesaver!!! Got a bunch of flash drives like GPARTED, etc that make life easy!

Bucky Ball
January 21st, 2016, 09:04 AM
You are a reminder and an example to all of the benefits of trying to answer your questions by searching online before posting. I try to get people to research first with the link in my signature but you are a better advertisement for it!

There is tons of info about Ubuntu out there. Like this user, have a look for it before resorting to posting on the forums. You might pick up something you can teach the rest of us when you get here. :D

Good work, well done and enjoy. :)

Kris_M
January 21st, 2016, 09:08 AM
Makes me so glad I picked Ubuntu! - So much info specifically on Ubuntu out there! :D

Linuxratty
January 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM
Makes me so glad I picked Ubuntu! - So much info specifically on Ubuntu out there! :D

So very true.
I even play Minecraft on the thing. It's very nice indeed.:D

phinn2
January 26th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Get Postal 2!!!!!!!

Kris_M
January 30th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Get Postal 2!!!!!!!

nah - not my cup of tea... Thanks for looking in, though!