PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 15.10 on Dell XPS 13

noam4
January 14th, 2016, 11:20 PM
Hi!

Trying to install the Ubuntu 15.10 on the Dell XPS 13 2015 (9343) using an SD card
What I did is to download the ISO and burn it onto the SD using ‪Universal-USB-Installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.6.3.exe). I want to be running windows 10 on the computer and to be able to run Ubuntu from the SD in moments of need. Is there a way to do that without a messy installation?

Thanks and so on...
Noam

dcsoldschool53
January 15th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Quick Question: Does your computer boot to a SD card in bios?

grahammechanical
January 15th, 2016, 01:06 AM
You do not say what the problem is. We usually burn an ISO image onto either a DVD disc or USB memory stick. Then we can run a live Ubuntu session. If you have succeeded in burning the ISO image to the SD card then what you have will be a Ubuntu live/install media. Is that what you want?

Are you able to direct the motherboard to look for an OS on the SD card by making an adjustment in the UEFI boot system? Is that facility available.

Regards.

dcsoldschool53
January 15th, 2016, 02:31 AM
The reason why I asked the question: Does your computer boot to a SD card in bios? Is Because I had tried it myself. I had windows 7 pre-install, and it did not work. Now, what I had found out was that If you have windows 8 upgraded to 10. It will work, so will windows 10 pre-installed. Do a search on your PC for system information. You are looking for bios mode to see if it is UEFI or BIOS. Hope this helps

noam4
January 16th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I do not know how to set the computer to boot from the SD. Have anyone any knowledge of doing it?