PDA

View Full Version : Best format for sharing desktop publishing files for other users to edit?

darrelljon
January 11th, 2016, 11:28 AM
What is the best format for sharing desktop publishing files in for other users to edit? Is it encapsulated postscript?

darrelljon
January 18th, 2016, 05:53 PM
bump SVG?

Bucky Ball
January 18th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

You'll probably get the widest range of opinions here.

PDFs? I think they're universal so probably yes. No idea about editing PDFs in Ubuntu, though.

I imagine Mac can edit .doc files and so can Linux. Not sure about open document files on Win or Mac.

SVG? Is that a file type?

Bucky Ball
January 18th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

You'll probably get the widest range of opinions here.

PDFs? I think they're universal so probably yes. No idea about editing PDFs in Ubuntu, though.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 19th, 2016, 01:36 AM
i have always found it annoying to edit pdf files, i use gimp on those
svg is a image format, you can actually make them with html5
if you are using office docs id suggest doc, everyone with an office sweet can edit those, you may want to offer it is multiple formats, on a side note rtf is safe

rewyllys
January 20th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I'm surprised to have seen no mention of Scribus in this thread.

Buntu Bunny
March 22nd, 2016, 03:00 PM
I'm surprised to have seen no mention of Scribus in this thread.

Well, Scribus wouldn't be a good tool for others to edit something.

darrelljon, I suggest using .doc or .docx, unless your other users are on Linux, then you can use .odt. As has been mentioned, PDFs are hard to edit. Going back and forth back and forth between LO and Word kinda messes up the formatting (line spacing, stuff like that), but if you're still in the editing stage, formatting comes later anyway.

EDIT - apologies, you said format for desktop publisher. I was thinking of something else because all my editing is usually done way before the DTP stage. Disregard what I said. :redface:

mastablasta
March 23rd, 2016, 08:36 AM
svg is ok.

pdf can be edited by Libre Office Draw, though i am not sure you are after this.

Wadim_Korneev
March 23rd, 2016, 09:35 AM
I use gimp on those (for pdf files)

Bucky Ball
March 23rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
pdf can be edited by Libre Office Draw, though i am not sure you are after this.

True, but the formatting can be very problematic (at least for me in the past and on some documents).

I suppose if you started with an empty pdf and pumped the data in fresh, though ...