PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 15.10 Install Freezing MSI GT70 Laptop

Eric_Wenzel
January 11th, 2016, 03:40 AM
I have an MSI GT70 Laptop and have loaded the Ubuntu 15.10 iso onto a 16gb thumbdrive using unetbootin. I did a file integrity check and there are no files with an error. I have disabled secureboot and fastboot. I understand there are potential issues with nvidia graphics cards but I am unsure what to do to potentially resolve this possible issue. I have the most recent video card driver installed on my windows 8 installation. Current nvidia driver version is 361.43.

When I boot from the USB, select Install Ubuntu and load the installation gui. I can get 3 menus deep before it completely freezes.
Ive tried to install without connecting to my wifi.
Ive also tried to connect to my hidden network but it freezes before I have the opportunity to put my network information in.

I would also like to point out that I have very little experience with linux of any flavor so Im not savvy to the lingo. Please help!

EDIT: I should point out that I want to install ubuntu alongside my windows OS. Not use it as my primary or sole OS.

Geoffrey_Arndt
January 11th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Perhaps the installer (if the iso is good) has issue with the disk partition table . . . how is your hdd setup now? Can you post a screenshot? To install, Ubuntu would either need at least 20 GiB in "unallocated" space or a defined partition using a Linux file system like ext4 . . . . the installer has to see those to even have a chance to know where to install. Also, what install option are you using? You shouldn't use "install alongside . . " but use the "something else" (which is a custom install process).

Also, what method did you use to shrink the windows partition to make room for Ubuntu? Note that if you're on a uefi system (versus standard MBR bios), then the installer must also be installed in uefi mode.

Regarding nvidia , you will have to either install those drivers after install, OR, better, be sure you have a stable web connection (ethernet best) and check the box to install updates and restricted/proprietary packages (software). That way, Ubuntu will try to install those drivers during the install so you don't get a "Black Screen" upon install reboot.

Good luck.