PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Samba - Do I need to install anything?

Geoff_Lane
January 10th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Folks,

I have Ubuntu-Mate installed on a R-Pi, checking synaptic package manager I notice smbclient is installed and a smb.conf file is in /etc/samba

There are quite a few options in synaptic for samba so I don't want to install anything unnecessarly, does it run by default?

Geffers

Edward_Fish
January 11th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Yes, Samba should run by default, but you'll need to fiddle with the config to share exactly what you want. I'm not sure if any changes are applied immediately, after a service restart, a full reboot, or something else. I personally prefer to use SFTP over Samba - it's a lot simpler.

Morbius1
January 11th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Samba - the server package - isn't installed by default in any Ubuntu release regardless of DE that I know of so you will have to install it yourself.

Note: The last Ubuntu MATE I installed was 14.10 so I don't know how many of these things have been "fixed" in the current release. I'm in the process of downloading 15.10 but given my current location this may take a few hours.

I would make sure the following packages are installed:

The samba server package:

sudo apt-get install samba

Just like Gnome/Unity MATE can create samba shares directly from it's file manager but that isn't installed by default either:

sudo apt-get install caja-share

There is ( or was back in 14.10 ) another problem with Printers not being able to "browse" for printers using samba. Back then you also needed to install this:

sudo apt-get install python-smbc
I think that's been replaced with a python3 package but I will know more when I install 15.10. Sorry I'm not more current.

Morbius1
January 11th, 2016, 03:50 PM
OK, 15.10 installed. Here's what I had to do:

Install the following packages:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

Then logoff and log back in again. This is to activate caja-share.

The issue with Printers has been fixed so it can browse for smb printers without you having to add anything.

Geoff_Lane
January 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM
I personally prefer to use SFTP over Samba - it's a lot simpler.

Agree but my daughter uses Windows and don't think she is familiar with sftp

Geffers

Geoff_Lane
January 11th, 2016, 07:48 PM

The issue with Printers has been fixed so it can browse for smb printers without you having to add anything.

Thanks Morbius, shall do that.

Geffers

Geoff_Lane
January 11th, 2016, 09:36 PM

Damn,

keep getting this error;

Net usershare returned error 255 Net usersshare add cannot convert name Everyone to a SID The connections was refused. Maybe smbd is not running

I ran smbd via /etc/init.d/smbd start just in case but same error.

Geffers

QDR06VV9
January 11th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Hi Geoff_Lane
See if this is of any help to you Post#3 and down
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1927243
Regards

Edward_Fish
January 12th, 2016, 01:13 AM
You might also need to install samba-common-bin.

sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin

deadflowr
January 12th, 2016, 05:10 AM
You might also need to install samba-common-bin.

sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin

It's auto-pulled in by samba's installation,
apt ftw

Morbius1
January 12th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Run the following command:

testparm -s
And look for a line that looks like this:

encrypt passwords = no
It could list it as "False" instead of no.

If it does edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, find the line above, and change no ( or False ) to yes.

Then restart samba:

sudo systemctl restart smbd
Or

sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart

You also might get that error message if you have a firewall in the way so disable it for the time being and see if the error message goes away.

Edward_Fish
January 13th, 2016, 09:49 AM
It's auto-pulled in by samba's installation,
apt ftw

Oh really? I didn't know that. In my MagPi magazine (issue 40) it said that to install Samba do:
sudo apt-get install samba samba-common-bin
and so I guessed that it wasn't automatically added as a dependency. My bad!

And you can install SSH into Windows by using OpenSSH. Won't that also make it so you can type sftp://user@ip/folder into the address bar like in Ubuntu?

Edward_Fish
January 13th, 2016, 09:53 AM
And you can install SSH into Windows by using OpenSSH. Won't that also make it so you can type sftp://user@ip/folder into the address bar like in Ubuntu?
Turns out that OpenSSH does NOT add SFTP to Windows Explorer but this tool here - Swish - does! Also it's free! Happy days!
http://www.swish-sftp.org/

Geoff_Lane
January 13th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I am totally confused now.

It appears that a Windows10 machine can see the contents of shared drive running on Raspberry Pi (Mate) but if I click on Windows Network on the Raspberry Pi it says Unable to Mount, failed to retrive share list from server, connection times out.

So, remote machine can see it but not via network connection on host machine.

Geffers

Morbius1
January 13th, 2016, 10:14 PM
90% of the time it's the mecanism that translates host names to ip addresses is reversed.

On the ubuntu machine edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and under the "workgroup = workgroup" line add:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
Save smb.conf and restart samba in this order:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart

Wait a few minutes for things to settle down since this discombobulates Windows for a while. And see if it resolves the issue.

There is another way to do this but you would have to change the firewall for the Win10 private network to permit it.

Of course there is a more direct way to do this and that's to connect to the Windows machine directly by ip address:

caja smb://192.168.0.100

Geoff_Lane
January 13th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Morbius,

Thank you for prompt reply; my mistake, the files are visible on the Win10 machine via media centre, not the file manager :(

That is a slight problem trying to do this remotely.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Geffers