PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I upgrade from x64 15.04 to 15.10?

fr33z0n3r
January 9th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I have not seen any indicator in Software Updater indicating the upgrade is available...is it still possible to perform this upgrade method as of Jan 1 2016?

I don't seem to have any issues, but I'm no expert. There is one 3rd party app (owncloud client) I am not upgrading due to issues. I can't believe that would prevent the upgrade?

grahammechanical
January 9th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I do not think that 15.04 will reach end of life until the end of January this year. And even then I do not think that the maintainers are quick to close the 15.04 repositories.

What setting do you have in System Settings>Software & Updates>Updates tab? What is "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" set to? Is it set to "For any new version?" That is the setting you need. Then start an update and see what you are offered when you run Software Updater from the Dash.

Regards

fr33z0n3r
January 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM
the settings are correct. I even tried altering them to "reset" them to no avail.

deadflowr
January 9th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Run the manual update commands from a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
are there any errors?

shane_faulkinbury2
January 9th, 2016, 08:23 PM
deadflower's recommendation should work, but you also might try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

fr33z0n3r
January 9th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Run the manual update commands from a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
are there any errors?

No errors, but I am NOT upgrading the app that is listed. I don't know why it would have an impact on an Ubuntu upgrade.

user@host:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
libneon27
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
libowncloudsync0 libqtkeychain0 owncloud-client owncloud-client-l10n
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,637 kB of archives.
After this operation, 168 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Dennis N
January 9th, 2016, 09:10 PM
If your settings are to notify for any new version, then at the conclusion of any regular update you perform, you get the advisory in the attached screen shot - then (obviously) click on the "Upgrade..." button.

Maybe I misunderstand what you want, but if you are trying to not upgrade one package and upgrade the rest of the distro to 15.10, I would suspect that may not be possible due to compatability problems.

NOTE: The message of the screen shot will be presented when you start "software updater" even if the system is already up to date.

fr33z0n3r
January 9th, 2016, 10:55 PM
If your settings are to notify for any new version, then at the conclusion of any regular update you perform, you get the advisory in the attached screen shot - then (obviously) click on the "Upgrade..." button.

Maybe I misunderstand what you want, but if you are trying to not upgrade one package and upgrade the rest of the distro to 15.10, I would suspect that may not be possible due to compatability problems.

NOTE: The message of the screen shot will be presented when you start "software updater" even if the system is already up to date.

I believe that could be the reason also, any idea how I get my issue rectified? do I open a bug for my inability to upgrade?

Honestly I haven't done anything too weird with my install but it may be possible that previous kernel patching issues have caused this.

I need to know how to actually move forward given this.

UPDATE- re reading your post, I think you are saying you think this 3rd pay app is causing the issue. I'll consider performing the update, but I need to obtain the deb first.

Dennis N
January 10th, 2016, 12:45 AM
You may need to continue what you aborted, and upgrade those 4 packages shown in post #6 first so that the system is up-to-date.

Then, are you offered an Upgrade by the Software Manager?

fr33z0n3r
January 10th, 2016, 07:47 PM
well, that did in fact permit the upgrade to be advertised.

And now, I have a new issue, potentially. The upgrade crash mid-process. The screen was frozen and unresponsive. I hard booted it. The Software Updater ran more stuff automatically and then said it was up to date.

WTF Canonical? This is the 2nd upgrade in a row that has failed on me. QA doing downhill.

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00000000fffffffc