PDA

View Full Version : Can't get ubuntu to work on my laptop.

jake87
January 9th, 2016, 03:54 AM
I am installing version 15.10 64 bit from a flash drive. I boot with the flash drive and choose install to this machine. It downloads then I get the prompt to restart my computer. Upon restarting it either boots from the flash drive or if I force boot from the hard drive it tells me to select a proper boot device.

Just ran the check disk and it found 2 errors in the files. The same copy of ubuntu was used on another computer and is working fine on it. Any idea what could be wrong?

Bucky Ball
January 9th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Welcome. You'll have more luck here and people will take into consideration you're new here. :)

It doesn't sound like you're removing the USB install media (as advised in the last screen of the install) or changing the BIOS to boot from the hard drive after the install.

If the ISO is showing errors, you should re-download it whether it appears to be running ok on another machine or not, just as a precaution. You don't want something breaking unexpectedly further down the track.

The safest way to obtain the ISO is via a torrent. You will find the torrent files on the official Ubuntu site under Alternative Downloads> Bit Torrent.

jake87
January 9th, 2016, 04:19 AM
I've tried removing the install media and setting the the hard drive to boot from bios and it didn't work. I'll try reinstalling and get back to you. Thanks.

I tried torrenting the file and it also did not work. When should I remove the install media? When it prompts to restart?

Bucky Ball
January 9th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Yes. It says there to remove the install media (in might be all USB media actually) and restart, unless something's been changed. What happens exactly when you reboot (and boot to the BIOS and change the boot device to the hard drive)?

jake87
January 9th, 2016, 05:33 AM
It tells me to select a proper boot device. If I have the hard drive saved as my primary boot device then it just boots into the flash drive unless I force it to use the hard drive in boot options, which gives me the select a proper boot device error. When it prompts for it to restart it says something like Installation complete. Restart your computer now to finish. I'll let you know exactly what it says in just a moment as I am trying it again. I'm trying to get Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS to work now.

It says "Installation is complete. You need to restart the computer in order to use the new installation.".

Bucky Ball
January 9th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Right, pull the USB dongle, reboot, enter BIOS, choose hard drive, continue.

Main thing, pull the USB out! Eliminate the option to boot from it after install.

jake87
January 9th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Same thing happened. "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

Geoffrey_Arndt
January 10th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Post a screen shot of your hdd layout, using a live usb stick or dvd. Plus, machine make and model, specs, etc. (especially gpu/graphics chipset). Are running a machine that has uefi firmware instead of standard MBR bios?