PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Apt-Get Update Error: Faile to fetch CDROM

intrepdmind
January 8th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Running server 15.10 fresh install from ISO to VM, after my first log in I'm running the traditional sudo apt-get update, and am seeing tailing errors in regards to cdrom update issues (nothing is mounted - I'm assuming this is a cdrom repo listing or something):

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (10151021)/dists/wily/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please us apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (10151021)/dists/wily/main/binary-i386/Packages Please us apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (10151021)/dists/wily/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please us apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (10151021)/dists/wily/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please us apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

May not be a big deal, but I figured I'd ask, for education if anything. Thank you for any guidance you might offer.

intrepdmind
January 8th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Found this with a bit more google-foo. At the top of this person's post, they explain how to comment this section out of /etc/apt/sources.list. Just curious to see if anyone could enlighten me as to why it would fail, or whether or not it's a big deal to leave this source out of the sources.list file.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-perfect-server-with-apache-php-myqsl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/

Thank you again!

QIII
January 8th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Your update should not fail. Fetching those particular resources failed because those entries are still in your sources.list.

Could you please post back the results of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep cdrom

intrepdmind
January 8th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Sure! I may have misspoken - the update as a whole did not fail, just these entries. I went through and commented them out and re-ran the updates successfully. Here's the requested grep output:

foo@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep cdrom
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (20151021)]/ wily main restricted
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 15.10 _Wiley Werewolf_ - Release amd64 (20151021)]/ wily main restricted
foo@ubuntu:~$

I figured it probably wasn't a huge deal to just comment the cdrom update source out, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that might complicate updates down the line.

QIII
January 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Won't cause any problems at all. You should be good!

Cheers!