PDA

View Full Version : My Linux Story on Opensource.com

Dragonbite
January 6th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Opensource.com website talks about more than the technical aspects of open source (open source in Government, Education, Business, etc.) and they recently put a call out for people's "My Linux Story".

They published mine, which is going over my beginnings with Linux.

https://opensource.com/life/16/1/my-linux-story-Drew-Kwashnak

sammiev
January 6th, 2016, 04:53 PM
+1 great read to say the least!

Thanks

coldraven
January 6th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Nice story! Treat yourself to a Raspberry Pi :)

ventrical
January 6th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Hey Dragonbite,

Awesome story man.:) Mine started back in 1995 when Linus Torvalds was looking for beta testers to test his floppy boot disk. (this was pre-ubuntu days). It was on dial-up through a network called Fidonet (not the cell phone provider). Of course it failed (would not boot) . So I just rolled along with Unix and DOS until 2008. Then I met Ubuntu.!!! Every PC that I had that had MS XP on it became dog-slow and loaded with malware. I was going nuts! :) Then I loaded hardy Heron. I goes .. "ah haa" ... went back to XP misery for a while and finally converted when Lucid Lynx was released. Maveric Meekat sealed my migration from Windows to Ubuntu.

Moral of the story .. don't throw out those old PCs ...lol

Regards..

y6FgBn)~v
January 6th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Excellent story Drew, thanks for sharing it.

Dragonbite
January 9th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks everybody for the kind words! :)

Shaun_Dixon
January 14th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I had just read this story before signing up on the ubuntu forums. It was a great read, thank you for sharing. I have just started messing around with Linux a few months ago and I am finding it so much fun, your story is inspiring :)