PDA

View Full Version : Put your idle Ubuntu installs to work!

Ted_Smith
August 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Ever heard of Grid Computing? In a nutshell, thousands of computers belonging to individuals and business from all over the globe processing massive computational tasks in their spare time while sat idle in aid of finding cures for diseases like cancer, looking for ET (SETI@home), climate change prediction, etc.

Over at The World Community Grid (www.worldcommunitygrid.org) you can put your Ubuntu PC to use 24\7 and\or while your not doing anything with it to help number crunch.

There's even an Ubuntu team already set up - so far we have 62 members - I am Tedsmith28. If you download the software (BOINC client), join the WCG, and then join the team. Let's see what kind of team we can build!

Lets go for it!

Ted

Polygon
August 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
i take it its this team? http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=69P91PFQP1

i tried folding at home and i hated it cause it takes soooo long to finish one WU. So i went back to WCG where i have like 100,000 points on it already ;)

maybe later today ill make a wiki page about it.

but one complaint i have about boinc is that its really hard to run it as a daemon... and if you just use the boinc manager (the gui client) there is no systray icon... so it takes up space on the open programs bar.

But if a later version included a systray icon (that worked in ubuntu) i would be very happy.

btw im Polygon89

Ted_Smith
August 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Yes, that is the correct team. 'Ubuntu Linux' it's called.

Polygon
August 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
i made a wiki page that shows how to download, install and crunch for Team Ubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WorldCommunityGridTeamUbuntu

[h2o]
August 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Hmm, I have a webserver which isn't really having a lot of load. Would it be possible to run it there? Would it take the load into consideration even on a graphics less computer?

mips
August 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
;1353046']Hmm, I have a webserver which isn't really having a lot of load. Would it be possible to run it there? Would it take the load into consideration even on a graphics less computer?

You don't need graphics and as far as I know it only uses your unused cpu cycles.

[h2o]
August 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
You don't need graphics and as far as I know it only uses your unused cpu cycles.

Sweet, then I might just install it and try it out :)