PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Training

hugov
March 31st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hi all

I would like to start an organization providing free Linux and Linux Apps training.
The training will be in CBT form using Macromedia Flash, which will run in a browser. Training covered will be things like Using Linux (KDE/GNOME), Using Open Office .org, Using Gimp...etc. Do any of you think that this is a good and viable idea? I believe that Linux will be so much more effective with the right training at the right price (in this case free). Do you think that I will get support from the communities in developing these CBT courses? Will sponsors be interested? I have been working for 5 years at a computer training institute developing interactive CBT courseware, and would like to apply my experience and skills in a project like this. It will at first be completely part time, then maybe later full time development.

And of course I will be using Ubuntu as my distro of choice ;-)

I know, it is difficult to excite anyone with this, but the training will look very very good and will work just as well.

If you think this is a good idea, please give some feedback on which applications you would like to see training. Also make any comments and suggestions.

If you think this is a good idea, please give some feedback on which applications you would like to see training. Also make any comments and suggestions.

Thanks for reading

inflexion
March 31st, 2005, 11:34 AM
IMO its a good idea but you have to decide on what you want to do first.

Id like to see one that teaches you the basic admin stuff(ie install new programs, create new folers etc) from the command line

One that shows you how to build a basic firewall and that you dont need and anti-virus

Lastly one like you said that shows you how simular OO is MS Office and then firefox..........

hugov
March 31st, 2005, 11:53 AM
I will be developing a Using Linux course first, one that takes you from complete newbie, to an intermediate/advaced user. That is the first priority. Then Open Office, then other apps.

Dragonfly_X
March 31st, 2005, 12:01 PM
IMO its a good idea but you have to decide on what you want to do first.

Id like to see one that teaches you the basic admin stuff(ie install new programs, create new folers etc) from the command line

One that shows you how to build a basic firewall and that you dont need and anti-virus

Lastly one like you said that shows you how simular OO is MS Office and then firefox..........

I agree with flex that u start with the basic admin stuff from the command line and the move to KDE & GNOME,OO,ect.

I still have some of the CBT "Tutorials" on linux and some other stuff witch we used in collage, they were pretty helpfull when I had to use them again about 2 months ago when i decided to install an run Ubuntu.

Despite the fact that they are a little outdated and based on Red Hat it covers all the core aspects of linux in an easy to learn way. I can mail them to you, just send me a PM with your email address.

totalshredder
March 31st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Wasn't slapdash trying to do this recently? Good that somebody else is going to do it! Maybe you guys could colaborate? It's definitely neeeded for the whole linux community. You could maybe have a section for only-ubuntu and one for all-linux :) Good Luck!!

Luke

davahmet
April 1st, 2005, 12:48 AM
I think this is an outstanding idea.

Aside from the Linux HOW-TOs, there is quite a lot of online training available for Linux, and all with the same problem. It's targeted for the Linux admin, not managers or office users.

Really, a business manager may be curious about Linux and how it can benefit his or her business, but care absolutely not a whit about how to configure Apache or use obscure sendmail flags. Since most of the HOW-TOs and online training excludes this user, the manager then becomes hostile to Linux. Bad move folks. This is not the way to get support from the non-technical user. Oh yes, before some says "Linux is not made for non-technical user-types", let me emphasize, this attitude is not the way to gain support from the people who make the business decisions aboutr which OS to buy.

What has been needed for a long time is a series of HOW-TOs (either written or multimedia) on HOW TO become comfortable with the Linux desktop. Trust me on this, non-technical managers do not wish to be told that they are stupid, not even through implication. They do want to be given an informed choice about things that will impact their business, such as their computer systems and productivity tools.

Linux, and especially Ubuntu, communities have worked very hard to improve useability and to provide choices. I think we have done a fairly good job of it overall, but the training that comes with it seriously needs some work. This idea has an enormous amount of value and definitely is worth pursuing.

hugov
April 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it. I will post updates of this project here. I also agree with davahmet, there are so many office workers that really don't need Widoze and MS Office, but they feel intimidated by Linux. My aim will be to create training for those types of people. Making them feel at home with Linux, making their transition as easy as possible. The big thing also is that I would like to provide the training material for free, so it will not cost you a cent to switch.

Thanks again.

greenwom
April 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM
From the Linux newbee perspective- I agree with the basic admin stuff

it's week 1.5 for me in linux and I can't install crap!!!

I'm only getting as far as I have in my understaning because I'm not afraid of a prompt, (I was upset when win 95 came out and DOS was no longer a means to learn).

I'd go with
1) basic prompt commands - most online guides suck for the begginer
2) explaining installs - not just listing some commands (that's currently not working
for me.
3) a quick guide for needed plug-in installs and tweaks, it sucks to toss a DVD in at work and get an error because you didn't know it wouldn't work. I mean hey my jump drive worked out of the BOX who would of thought the DVD player wouldn't work.
My tenant has had a linux box for a few years and still hasn't gotten sound to work due to some tweaking he doesn't know how to configure.
4) explaing the role of user and root

I'm sucj a newbee I'm sure there will be more I want to add to the list of things I'd like to learn by the end of the week :)

your the bomb for trying to organize more training!

Chicago Mike :mrgreen:

](*,)