PDA

View Full Version : how best to upgrade from 14.04.3 to 15.10

Kris_M
January 4th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Or shouldn't I? ...

I tried using the system settings / software and updates / updates - it offered me 15.04 so I tried that - it ran for a while but it failed and supposedly restored back. I used clonezilla to get back my 14.04.3 system that I had backed up just before. :cool:

I have 15.10 iso d/l'ing as we speak. I think I read somewhere that it would offer to upgrade... (?)

Thanks!

MAFoElffen
January 4th, 2016, 06:17 AM
No. 14.04.03 is an LTS, so will not prompt you for a distribution upgrade until this March, after the next LTS is released. That is what is recommended to most, as it is the most stable and a long-term, less-bumps-expected upgrade path. You could always override that, but not the norm.

Kris_M
January 4th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks!

One thing I discovered while playing was that xscreensaver isn’t supported there so, having just put it on a day or 2 ago, I used clonezilla restore to restore before I put that on.

Thanks!

I'll wait!

deadflowr
January 4th, 2016, 06:55 AM
No. 14.04.03 is an LTS, so will not prompt you for a distribution upgrade until this March, after the next LTS is released. That is what is recommended to most, as it is the most stable and a long-term, less-bumps-expected upgrade path. You could always override that, but not the norm.

I believe lts to lts upgrades aren't enabled until the first point release hits in July/August.

Of course you can override this by running the -d option for update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

Kris_M
January 4th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Yes - July or so for the 16.04.1 release. Thanks!