PDA

View Full Version : GTK3 theming idea -- is this possible?

fredbird67
January 2nd, 2016, 04:35 AM
Since the current GNOME/GTK developers are hell-bent on breaking GTK themes with each new release of GTK and refuse to stop, I was just wondering if it would cause any other problems to simply block libgtk-3-0 from updating in Synaptic. If it doesn't cause any other problems, I think this could be a good way to protest and keep ourselves from going bonkers in theme creation trying to keep up with each new version of GTK. Does anyone know if this idea of mine would work and if there are any bad side effects from such an action? I'd like to know. Thanx!

buzzingrobot
January 2nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
Anything that depends on the current, expected, version of libgtk-3-0 would likely break.

fredbird67
January 3rd, 2016, 10:28 PM
GRRRR...I've got a distro idea in mind, but if the end-users use something based on GTK3 and they're put off by the fact that it looks like a Windows 95 reject...the whole GTK3 debacle makes me ANGRY -- VERY ANGRY. :mad: Basically, I'm debating with myself what desktop environment I want to include with it right now. I've been using Xfce for years, and LXQT Is, IMHO, not ready yet for prime-time (I want to keep it lightweight and thus don't want all the bloat that is KDE), and there's very little that's new that one can find as far as theming decorations go with Trinity or else I'd go with that. Sometimes, I feel like Red Hat has done screwed over the entire desktop Linux world over what they're doing to GTK3. Hopefully more and more projects will defect to Qt, but at the rate that's going, I'm not holding my breath on very many doing so. I know that Audacious and LXDE are in the process of migrating to Qt, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any others. :-(