PDA

View Full Version : install on one pc then switch hdd to another

matt18
January 2nd, 2016, 12:31 AM
Question: is it possible to install 14.04 onto a hdd and then take said hdd and put it into a diff mobo and cpu and boot into ubuntu? Any issues with that?
Thanks

ubfan1
January 2nd, 2016, 01:07 AM
It'll probably work, if you don't have any proprietary drivers installed. Might need to reinstall some things if the hardware is too different.

yancek
January 2nd, 2016, 02:06 AM
It should generally work if as stated above, you do not install any proprietary drivers. Usually this is with graphic drivers. If you had only the one drive in the computer and install the drive to another computer as the only drive it would simplify things.

sudodus
January 2nd, 2016, 06:53 AM
Yes, this is possible as described by ubfan1 and yancek.

I have done it with HDDs and SSDs. It is even possible to install to a USB pendrive and get an installed portable system (as long as you {avoid/do not need} proprietary drivers).

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

matt18
January 2nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
Awesome cuz i need to troubleshoot a pc because it will not load any linux distro at all so i want to instal on another pc and then see if weird pc will load it