PDA

View Full Version : ABOUT - Godaddy discount codes found online

suomalainen
December 30th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Hi People :)

Would anyone happen to know of reliable online resources through which I can obtain Godaddy discount renewal codes for web hosting and SSL certificates?

Thank You!!!

TheFu
December 30th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Reliable? domain.com or namecheap.com, not godaddy.com. Hey - this is the Cafe after all. ;)
For TLS certs, the whole world is changing. The old way is to pay about $35/yr for a cert, but soon (betas in some places) Let's Encrypt will make valid, free, TLS certs available to everyone. Can't remember who I use for certs - it is NOT the domain registrar or godaddy.

Websearch "godaddy reasons to leave" for reasons why people are leaving godaddy. Forbes did an article about this.

SantaFe
December 30th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Websearch "godaddy reasons to leave" for reasons why people are leaving godaddy. Forbes did an article about this.

Frankly I blame Danica Patrick myself. :D

aysiu
January 2nd, 2016, 10:55 PM
Websearch "godaddy reasons to leave" for reasons why people are leaving godaddy. Forbes did an article about this. I'm going to +1 this recommendation. I stay away from GoDaddy for many, many reasons (all of which you can easily find). For about 15 years, I've been using ICDSoft (fairly obscure host but very reliable with amazing customer support). I'd highly recommend switching to them (I don't get a cut or anything—genuinely recommending based on personal experience).

coldraven
January 3rd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Reliable? domain.com or namecheap.com, not godaddy.com. Hey - this is the Cafe after all. ;)
For TLS certs, the whole world is changing. The old way is to pay about $35/yr for a cert, but soon (betas in some places) Let's Encrypt will make valid, free, TLS certs available to everyone. Can't remember who I use for certs - it is NOT the domain registrar or godaddy.

Let's Encrypt: https://letsencrypt.org/

CharlesA
January 3rd, 2016, 02:46 PM

Vouching for this. Godaddy is "OK" but there are better registrars. I wouldn't want to try to transfer a domain away from them, though. I've heard horror stories.

I wouldn't even touch domain.com, but that is because I got a bill for domain privacy over a year and a half after I transferred my domains away from them. I disabled the domain privacy before transferring but apparently it was cancelled for one domain, but not the other, so I got a bill for it even though they were not hosting my domains anymore. Support got it worked out in the end - apparently domain privacy needed to be cancelled separately - but it really left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have used Namecheap and Namesilo and both are good. I have stuck with Namesilo for the extra features - free domain privacy and other stuff that the other registrars charged for. There is also gandi.net, which I have heard good things about, but they seem to be more expensive than the rest.

So basically, I use Namesilo for my domain registration and GoGetSSL for my SSL certs with a reseller account.

suomalainen
January 4th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Great stuff!

At this point, I cannot relocate from Godaddy. That said, finding discount codes to lower the price of SSL certificate renewal and hosting renewal with Godaddy would really be a great find for me. Any ideas?

CharlesA
January 4th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Is there a reason you are locked into GoDaddy? I'm guessing you have a shared hosting setup there and it would be a pain to migrate, but that is just an assumption.

If that is the case, you could ask them to see if you can add an outside SSL certificate to your site, but I am not all that familiar with the way their control panel works.

A quick search for godaddy coupons didn't show much.