PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade stuck - what do I do?

martin186
December 27th, 2015, 10:12 PM
So I'm upgrading for 15.04 to 15.10. The upgrade is stuck - the last thing it was doing is generating a configuration file for grub. It detected, among others, some 10.04 LTS I have on a partition. After that, nothing. The computer is fine, but the install hasn't changed, presumably for many hours since i just got back from work. Is it safe to kill the process? If so, what should I do to resume it again/start over?

matt_symes
December 27th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Hi

Is it safe to kill the process? If so, what should I do to resume it again/start over?

Generally no but if it's stuck then you may have to kill it. This should be the absolute last resort though.

Do you have a LiveUSB handy in case there are problems ?

Kind regards

martin186
December 27th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Yes, after a bit of fiddling, I created one of those now. While doing that, I realized the reason the Installer acted up while detecting other operating systems is that the disk drive they're on is on the brink of death, so it problably got stuck trying to read from it. So what do you suggest now?

matt_symes
December 28th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Hi

Yes, after a bit of fiddling, I created one of those now. While doing that, I realized the reason the Installer acted up while detecting other operating systems is that the disk drive they're on is on the brink of death, so it problably got stuck trying to read from it. So what do you suggest now?

Sorry. I've been afk for a couple of hours.

If the drive is "on the brink of death", then backup your important files to an external hard drive before do anything. You can do this from the LiveUSB.

Then replace the hard drive. I don't know what else to add really apart from dispose of the old drive responsibly.

Kind regards