PDA

View Full Version : World Domination is coming slowly

cariboo
December 24th, 2015, 05:50 PM
I saw this on Google cards last night, and decided to check out Dustin's blog:

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2015/12/more-people-use-ubuntu-than-anyone.html

howefield
December 24th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Saw it on the Planet, interesting read :)

QDR06VV9
December 24th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Yep! Good Read.

More people use Ubuntu than we know.
More people use Ubuntu than you know.
More people use Ubuntu than they know.

Thanks cariboo

grahammechanical
December 25th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Ubuntu has become something more than desktop & server editions of a Linux distribution. That thought is a little sad for those of us who think that the computing world revolves around the desktop user. We should be glad that more & more people are benefiting from Free & Open Source Software.

Regards.

matt_symes
December 25th, 2015, 06:32 PM
It looks to be yet another opinion based, click bait offering from Phoronix.

The only honest answer is 'we don't know how many users of Ubuntu there are'.

From where i stand, the metrics are simply not available to make a quantified determination.

Dustin came closest with

More people use Ubuntu than anyone actually knows.

although that could quite easily be replaced with

Fewer people use Ubuntu than anyone actually knows.

I only know that i use it and i keep meeting other people that use it.

As an addendum:

Over the years, I keep meeting more and more people who have heard of it even if they don't use it.

You have to know about something before you can consider using it.

mikodo
December 25th, 2015, 07:52 PM
A successful company, in this case Canonical and its' operating systems, (all of its' services), need to have growth to survive. It has always continued to do this. "The Ubuntu Project" with its' willingness to push for market share in newer technologies is, a very strong indicator of a company that has its' eyes squarely on success. I have no doubt, we will continue to see it become a more and more viable company in the future. As far it being a worldly dominant home and business OS is, not really important. More importantly, it is very well positioned to be successful in the future of this technology. In itself, Ubuntu has no corporate share holders to appease, and that allows them to pursue cutting edge stuff, that doesn't always show a profit, never-mind each quarter. Therein lies, its' greatest asset. Not how many desktop users there are.

Here we are at what ... the twelfth year of the Ubuntu Project's life span and it is very successful with a bright future.