PDA

View Full Version : 14.04 Dekstop RAID

cranerja
December 23rd, 2015, 11:56 PM
Hello,
I am trying to install 14.04 desktop onto a RAID0.
I am able to setup the RAID and install the system, but I am left with no boot loader. I cannot find a guide that shows how to create a EFI boot partition on a seperate drive that points to the installation on the RAID.
Any advice?

MAFoElffen
December 24th, 2015, 02:18 AM
In 15.10 you can install to an EFI system and it will do the specifics. Using 14.04, you have to create the EFI boot file using a recent Boot Repair LiveCD, after the install, as an additional step.

Before you do anything... Is there anything else installed on this PC? Such as, is this a fresh install over anything that was there? Or is this a multi-boot with an EFI booted Windows OS (where Secure Boot would be toggled in the BIOS)?

Also, if you could boot from your LiveCD and post the output of:

sudo blkid
sudo fdisk -l

Also answer if your disks are MBR or GPT partition tables...

Also, to appease my curiosity, what where your considerations for RAID0 rather than LVM to create your spanned disks? This was a planning consideration where, if there were reason to do RAID0 over using LVM, you could combine both planning strategies-- use a /boot partition of type 83 (Linux Native Partition) that is outside your RAID Members, to use as a boot partition. When doing spanned disks, this strategy helps you, if you ever need to recover spanned members.

I do both RAID, LVM and a combination of both ... but there are business rule considerations I use to decide when to use them.

Like I said, just curious.

EDT-- I am assuming you mean mdadm Linux Software RAID, and not hardware RAID right?

cranerja
December 24th, 2015, 11:28 PM
In 15.10 you can install to an EFI system and it will do the specifics. Using 14.04, you have to create the EFI boot file using a recent Boot Repair LiveCD, after the install, as an additional step.

Before you do anything... Is there anything else installed on this PC? Such as, is this a fresh install over anything that was there? Or is this a multi-boot with an EFI booted Windows OS (where Secure Boot would be toggled in the BIOS)?

Also, if you could boot from your LiveCD and post the output of:

sudo blkid
sudo fdisk -l

Also answer if your disks are MBR or GPT partition tables...

Also, to appease my curiosity, what where your considerations for RAID0 rather than LVM to create your spanned disks? This was a planning consideration where, if there were reason to do RAID0 over using LVM, you could combine both planning strategies-- use a /boot partition of type 83 (Linux Native Partition) that is outside your RAID Members, to use as a boot partition. When doing spanned disks, this strategy helps you, if you ever need to recover spanned members.

I do both RAID, LVM and a combination of both ... but there are business rule considerations I use to decide when to use them.

Like I said, just curious.

EDT-- I am assuming you mean mdadm Linux Software RAID, and not hardware RAID right?

Wow thanks for the response!
If 15.10 can do it itself, I may just resort to that. Good to know.

I have Windows on a separate disk, but it does not have its own EFI partition.

My reasoning for RAID is that I have done it before for storage, just not as a boot drive. I have no experience with LVM. I am looking into it now.