PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wanted to try GNOME, now tried to remove

sbennettgso
December 22nd, 2015, 04:45 PM
So it's been a while since I messed with GNOME 3, and I wanted to mess around with it. So I installed the meta package.

It was OK, but it seemed slower graphically than stock Ubuntu. So I went to log into a Unity session, and all the sudden a bunch of my desktop settings in Unity are messed up. The theme I was able to revert, but I can't get my wallpapers back - it's just giving me the stock background no matter what background (or set of backgrounds) I select.

Any clues? I've done the standard stuff... restart, log out/in, purge GNOME, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Frogs Hair
December 22nd, 2015, 05:07 PM
What Gnome package specifically ? A gnome shell installation is different from the gnome-desktop installation. You could start with the following and restart.

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

flocculant
December 22nd, 2015, 09:31 PM
What's more likely useful is to find what apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop adds to a stock ubuntu install - then remove all of that and then apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You could do that in a virtual machine easily enough, in a xubuntu install it grabs 441 packages. I suspect similar happened - have you removed all of them?

sbennettgso
December 25th, 2015, 09:44 PM
So apparently purging ubuntu-gnome-desktop does not remove certain things... the GNOME Tweak Tool was still controlling themes, backgrounds, etc.

I was able to set all that stuff through the tweak tool, and I'll probably just keep it.

Thanks,
Scott

kai15
December 26th, 2015, 12:23 PM
GNOME also can change your bootscreen, I had to use plymouth manager to change it back to the default one