PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] “Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10” option not present

MZ667
December 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
I am currently using an ASUS X552CL which came pre-installed with windows 8. I had installed windows 7 pro, and then upgraded to windows 10.

I am trying to dual-boot my PC with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (64-bit), but during installation, it says, "This computer doesn't have any OS. What do you want to do?". Also, if I try the "something else" option, it does not detect my partitions (I had partitioned 30 GB to install Ubuntu using the windows disk management tool). All I see is my hard disk in it's entirety.

Honestly, I am new to this, and have been trying to find solutions for a few days now. Thus far, I have disabled hibernate and faststart.

I have used sudo apt-get install gdisk within the Ubuntu Live desktop, and it finds a valid MBR and a corrupt GPT.

Also, I have found that a BootInfo summary would be useful for people who may assist, so I have generated one using the Boot-Repair tool. Mine can be found here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14135768

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Bucky Ball
December 22nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Welcome. You'll have more luck here and splitting your post into paragraphs will further improve your chances of support. Good luck. :)

MZ667
December 22nd, 2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the move and advice. :KS

Bucky Ball
December 22nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
You need to boot into Windows, switch off hibernation and faststart. You mention hibernation, but not faststart. If not, Windows doesn't really shutdown. You need the machine to shutdown totally. Power off. No OS hibernating (which is what Win would normally do).

Forget about Win disk management partitions. Ubuntu uses EXT4 filesystem which Win knows nothing about. You've probably created NTFS. You only need free space, the install (Something Else when you get there) can take care of the rest.

Can you boot the install media and 'Try Ubuntu'? What happens there? Desktop?

Check in the BIOS that Win is installed in UEFI. Install Ubuntu in UEFI if it is.

MZ667
December 22nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
faststart was disabled along with hibernation, sorry I forgot to mention that.

I had merely "shrunk" my volume, did not format it.

I did boot the media, and 'Try Ubuntu'. That is how I was able to use the terminal to run gdisk and the Boot-Repair tool (As mentioned earlier).

According to my "system information", Windows is installed in Legacy BIOS mode.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=55F89D746BAA36E7!1171&authkey=!AKsV4L6iBvN18Vc&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

Bucky Ball
December 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
Just checked your bootinfo output. There is no free space there.

Boot to the BIOS with the install media inserted and make sure that is booting in BIOS mode.

Follow whatever Windows is installed in is about it.