PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about computer mice

markodd
December 22nd, 2015, 07:49 AM
So, I'm now looking for a good wireless mouse and I'm finding they're either incredibly expensive or don't have the features I desire. So I ask you:

- What mouse do you use?

Bucky Ball
December 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
A spongy lime green 'Insystem wireless mouse' (http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/insystem-wireless-mouse-relaxation-green-inwmrelgr). Cost me AU$4.

My wife has a yellow one.

yoshii
December 22nd, 2015, 08:21 AM
I just use a simple USB wired mouse by Logitech. It's Linux compatible so no issues. It's ergonomic enough and has the three buttons and wheel so that's all I need.

buzzingrobot
December 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
So, I'm now looking for a good wireless mouse and I'm finding they're either incredibly expensive or don't have the features I desire. So I ask you:

- What mouse do you use?

What features are you looking for?

I'm a bit of a mouse junkie and have spent too much money on too many of the things. All of them are still hanging around. Currently using a Contour wired USB mouse, which is a not-inexpensive boutique brand. I use it because it's large enough to be comfortable in my large hand, and it has 3 real mouse buttons, which is handy. (A waste on Windows, I'd guess, but useful on X on Linux.) The scrolling mouse wheel is on the right side, thumb operated.

If I'm using an interface that cannot be configured to move between workspaces with the mouse wheel, I use a Logitech M510 wireless. It has a tiltable scroll wheel. I use an xbindkey script to enable workspace changing with it.

makitso
December 22nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
My wife's laptop sits on a granite counter top and the Logitech M305 is the only mouse that works :-)

ajgreeny
December 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
I have an HP 5 button Optical Comfort mouse which is wired but available wireless as well. The two side buttons work with no extra configuration for backwards/forwards in browsers and file managers in all my installations of *ubuntu, some of them running in VBox so I don't see any problem likely to arise for you with almost any mouse you buy.

Only if you go for some of the multibutton gaming mouse types are you likely to need extra configuration.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 23rd, 2015, 12:09 AM
this is my moue
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095P5K8I

jeff127
December 23rd, 2015, 08:23 AM
I just use a simple USB wired mouse by Logitech. It's Linux compatible so no issues. It's ergonomic enough and has the three buttons and wheel so that's all I need.

A similar story for me. I used to have a tiny Lenovo mouse that I bought when I ordered a laptop in 2009. It broke after 4 years so now I buy the cheapest mouse possible - they're all made in China, with no serviceable parts. Who cares. One with a cable is fine.

markodd
December 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
What features are you looking for?

I'm a bit of a mouse junkie and have spent too much money on too many of the things. All of them are still hanging around. Currently using a Contour wired USB mouse, which is a not-inexpensive boutique brand. I use it because it's large enough to be comfortable in my large hand, and it has 3 real mouse buttons, which is handy. (A waste on Windows, I'd guess, but useful on X on Linux.) The scrolling mouse wheel is on the right side, thumb operated.

If I'm using an interface that cannot be configured to move between workspaces with the mouse wheel, I use a Logitech M510 wireless. It has a tiltable scroll wheel. I use an xbindkey script to enable workspace changing with it.

I'm looking for a wireless, small and good tracking features. I also want back/forward buttons and a scrool wheel that goes to the sides (left and right), so I can move pages horizontally, if need be (very handy in Excel). A fast scrool wheel is a good bonus as well...

There are mouses that have what I require. One that comes to mind is Logitech anywhere. Sadly, they're quite a bit expensive for me (around 60eur). I had one in the past and it started going mad (double clicking and all that)..

I have no idea how you guys manage to work with mice with 3 buttons only.. My productivity would be very bad, though I guess it depends for what one usually uses the PC.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 23rd, 2015, 12:50 PM
my wireless logitech has all that except forward/back buttons, i got it refurbished on ebay for ~15 USD
idk the model cause it has been marked off with a marker

buzzingrobot
December 23rd, 2015, 01:18 PM
I'm looking for a wireless, small and good tracking features. I also want back/forward buttons and a scrool wheel that goes to the sides (left and right), so I can move pages horizontally, if need be (very handy in Excel). A fast scrool wheel is a good bonus as well...]

The Logitiech M510 has all that and is not terribly expensive if you look around online. Size, of course, is a relative thing. Tracking works fine for me. Ditto the scroll wheel. I don't use it for precision work.

I have no idea how you guys manage to work with mice with 3 buttons only.. My productivity would be very bad, though I guess it depends for what one usually uses the PC.

Three *real* buttons, a scroll wheel and a back/forward button is all I need. I find most mice are uncomfortable so I'll trade comfort for buttons.

Bucky Ball
December 23rd, 2015, 02:34 PM
I use key combos for most frequently used apps and try and avoid using the mouse altogether on this machine so three buttons is all that is required. I'm a touch typist and do a lot of it so keeping my hands in position over the keyboard as much as possible is the aim and the most productive route ... on this machine. Horses for courses, as 'they' say.

Mike_Walsh
December 24th, 2015, 12:03 AM
I find the Logitech T400 ZoneTouch wireless works very well for me:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-T400-Zone-Touch-Mouse/dp/B00969DLKC

It doesn't have a 'scroll-wheel'; instead, it uses a miniature 'touch strip'. Works exactly like a touch-pad, including sideways scrolling.....and actually has four buttons, as the 'touch-strip' clicks at both the front and rear. Works without issue in Xubuntu.

I've used this for nearly two years. Still works as well as the day I bought it; and as & when it packs up, I shall get another one without hesitation.

Regards,

Mike. ;)

kurt18947
December 24th, 2015, 12:32 AM

Three *real* buttons, a scroll wheel and a back/forward button is all I need. I find most mice are uncomfortable so I'll trade comfort for buttons.

Me too, so I got one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-M570-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0043T7FXE

Of course I've used trackballs for years when I've had a choice. It requires less space and no lift-resets when used in small spaces.

CantankRus
December 24th, 2015, 05:07 AM
I'm looking for a wireless, small and good tracking features. I also want back/forward buttons and a scrool wheel that goes to the sides (left and right), so I can move pages horizontally, if need be (very handy in Excel). A fast scrool wheel is a good bonus as well...

There are mouses that have what I require. One that comes to mind is Logitech anywhere. Sadly, they're quite a bit expensive for me (around 60eur). I had one in the past and it started going mad (double clicking and all that)..

My suggestion for you, if you don't want to fork out for an expensive mouse, is install and use easystroke (https://github.com/thjaeger/easystroke/wiki/Documentation) mouse gestures.
Bind keys or commands to mouse gestures making use of xdotool and wmctrl.
By backing up your ~/.easystroke config, your settings are easily transferable to a new install or different desktop environment.

bytr
December 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I don't use any mice. I'm using a touchpad which is integrated into the keyboard (http://www.riitek.com/goods/detail/46.htm).

markodd
December 24th, 2015, 01:14 PM
My suggestion for you, if you don't want to fork out for an expensive mouse, is install and use easystroke (https://github.com/thjaeger/easystroke/wiki/Documentation) mouse gestures.
Bind keys or commands to mouse gestures making use of xdotool and wmctrl.
By backing up your ~/.easystroke config, your settings are easily transferable to a new install or different desktop environment.

This seems to be quite a nice piece of software. Do you find it reliable?

CantankRus
December 24th, 2015, 04:12 PM
This seems to be quite a nice piece of software. Do you find it reliable?
Very reliable.
Have been using it for 7 years now and is one of my first installed applications in a new install.