PDA

View Full Version : Getting stuck during Upgrade on Ubuntu 14.04

Deeks22
December 17th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I currently have to administrate some Ubuntu Server machines and I'm having trouble with apt-get upgrade. I'm trying to upgrade a machine running 14.04, which hadn't been updated/upgraded for a very long time. While apt-get update works just fine, the upgrade-process gets stuck at the point where it seems to restart the ssh service, saying ssh stop/waiting

From there on, the upgrade won't continue. I'm not running the upgrade via a ssh session.

As I'm not familiar with Linux in general, the immediate problem is, how to stop the upgrade process without breaking anything as a simple Ctrl+C won't do it. Another, basically identical machine stops at the exact same point during the upgrade process.
Any ideas on how to narrow down the problem?

Bashing-om
December 17th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Deeks22; Hello;

As always the foundation is what does the package manager report ?

These reports start with what :

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

advise.
Please post these outputs - Between code tags . We then see where to start looking for the fault(s) .

together

we can

Deeks22
December 18th, 2015, 06:07 PM
For some reason, the machine went through with the upgrade today. Unfortunately, I can't tell what was the problem in the first place.
However, I went on and did a full release upgrade afterwards, which resulted in the machine being "bricked" due to this bug http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2300859&p=13401065#post13401065
Therefore I had to setup the machine again from scratch, now as a 15.10 Ubuntu.

However, I'd still like to know, how to abort an upgrade that got stuck/froze, without breaking anything.

Bashing-om
December 18th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Deeks22; Yeah !

That nuclear solution always works ! But, I must say in my opinion that solution is for wussies, and those short on time . Often faster to (RE-)install than to find and fix.

As to the why in you last episode, tough to make a call with out seeing the terminal outputs and examining the log files. The finger of suspicion is pointed at proprietary software from 3rd party sources .

As to:

how to abort an upgrade that got stuck/froze, without breaking anything.

Again there is no one nor an easy answer . Time and experience to know when and what is hanging and what to do to recover at some point where the update process was when the hang up happened .

Open another terminal may be of great help to "look" at things.
A key combo ctl+c to terminate a present process might be acceptable, depending on what stage the process is at . And then examine to see the cause of the hang. There is a reason, just maybe not so easy to find ( the system will at least give hints as to why and where) and may not be so easy to fix. It all just depends.

the more complex

the more difficult to find