PDA

View Full Version : Entry-Level Linux Certs?

cody27
December 17th, 2015, 01:24 AM
So I could read articles about Linux certifications until my eyeballs fall out and I probably still won't know which to try for. So I figured I'd ask around and see what people, who know what they're talking about, say about my situation.

I'm extremely tired of working these, basically, dead-end jobs when I only really want to work in the tech industry somewhere. But the problem is I have no formal experience and nothing to put on my resume (or CV if you live pretty much anywhere but the US). I've only been an enthusiast...well as much as you can be when working a minimum wage job, I haven't been able to afford to do much tech related. But I try.
I'm sure this is a verry typical story for this industry. I just haven't been able to get my foot in anywhere. Nobody will give me a chance to learn more.

I've been looking at https://www.lpi.org/ because they seem pretty intro level and cover a wide range of topics. But I would appreciate any help with other places I haven't found. Especially if they don't cost much!
Or any advice anyone is willing to give.

jeff127
December 17th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I recommend that you do a course, because you need the qualification to prove that you've done a comprehensive study on everything (subnetting, client-server model, different types of routers). When you do the Comptia Network+ course/exam, you also do a Microsoft certificate, and whatever else you want. On top of the course, extra certificates are cheap, you just pay to sit an exam.

In 2007 I dropped out of a course after doing only the hardware part (I didn't do network+) and I didn't make it into the tech business. I'll try again soon I'm sure :)

... back in '07 I was the one saying I wanted to do Linux stuff. But to do that, you need to do the windows stuff too (I was told this but I would have dropped out either way, imagine a 16 YO looking after your company, total catastrophe).

cody27
December 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
That makes sense.

16 is also about the time that I was really diving into Linux and trying to get a job in the field, but I didn't have much focus as the time.

So you recommend the Comptia Network+ course?

jeff127
December 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Yes, and check out all the different providers. Push the administrators of the course to show you a course schedule and ask them how much word/excel you have to do. In New Zealand and Australia there's a thing called Computer Power and they require a month's worth of Microsoft Office study before you can even touch programming or anything else. Don't go to a course like that it'll kill all the fun. You want to get straight into the good stuff. From what I know your knowledge needs to be broad, so if you can afford it, do a Comptia A+ course first, then Network+

The A+ is the hardware exam, as you may already know. This basic stuff is rarely used in the real world but it's good to know as backup, plus it's a good excuse to build a PC if you've gotten rusty over the years. I know I have! Ideally you want to do an A+ and Network+ course in the same year, but this may vary. Here in New Zealand a software diploma is now 2 years instead of 1 year. The government changed the criteria. For better or worse I don't know, but they've made it longer. Not sure about Network+ courses