PDA

View Full Version : Adding KDE to 14.04

grathbun
December 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04_64 bit; I prefer KDE, so also installed the kde-full meta package after reloading the repository data in Synaptic.
However, now that I've installed it, how do I get X to come up in KDE instead of in Ubuntu's default desktop environment? In other distros
I've used in the past, there was a drop-down list on the login screen allowing me to select the DE, but not here.

There's no option to choose KDE in Settings-->Session and Startup, but I have Launch KDE services on startup checked
in Session's Advanced tab.

I also noticed that there's now a new icon in the Settings Manager for KDE System Settings, but nothing happens when
I click it (except the icon is selected.)

Any help much appreciated. (I have a metered internet connection, so downloading Kubuntu and then adding the Studio apps would be prohibitively
expensive and not a reasonable option.)

- grathbun

egeezer
December 15th, 2015, 10:57 PM
I don't know how big the kubuntu-desktop is in megabytes, but that's what you need - the meta package is just the wrapper for it.

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

is what you need; if it is anything like xubuntu-desktop, it will run about 300MB. It contains all the Kubuntu-specific things and will give you that little icon you need just above the login line.

grathbun
December 16th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Thanks, egeezer, I'll give that a shot and post the results.

grathbun
December 19th, 2015, 02:59 AM
egeezer,
It worked -- thanks again!