PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues Installing Ubuntu 15.10 32-bit

Parker_Harless
December 15th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Hello!

I am new to the Ubuntu world, and I'm trying to install Ubuntu 15.10 32-bit on an Acer Aspire One Netbook. I am booting off of USB, and whenever I change the boot order, it flashes and shows a continuously blinking underscore at the top left of the screen. I know pretty much nothing about Ubuntu except for it being an open-source operating system.

Any help getting this installed would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here, or am I just being impatient?

Thanks in advance. :)

sudodus
December 15th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

How did you make the USB drive bootable?

How much RAM is there in the computer (1 GB or more)? Maybe it would work better with an Ubuntu flavour with a lighter desktop environment, Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

And it might be a good idea to install version 14.04.1 LTS, which has longer support (until April 2017) than 15.10 (only until July 2016).

See the following links,

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

Installation/FromUSBStick (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick)

Parker_Harless
December 19th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Hello!

There is only a gig of RAM in the computer, so I'll try a lighter weight system.

I followed these instructions for making the USB stick: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for being a little late to reply.

sudodus
December 19th, 2015, 07:37 PM
That method should work. If not, you find other methods/tools via the links in post #2.

Good luck with the lighter flavour(s) of Ubuntu, and please come back if/when you have any questions :-)

roler2
December 23rd, 2015, 01:50 AM
Stick with 14.04 with the default kernel. Don't utilize the HWE upgrade and stay away from 15.10 if you have a very old computer such as a P4. Appears to be updated kernel issues poorly interacting with old computer graphics cards. I was able to install 15.10 with a Flash Drive however everything that happened after that I just got Desktop freeze issues, bad, fuzzy unclear graphics and extremely poor font rendering. 14.04 with the default kernel works very well. No freezes, good graphics, terrific font rendering.

I am now concerned about 16.04 as it will have a major upgraded kernel. If it is going to be the same scenario as 15.10 then I cannot utilize Lubuntu any longer.

gordintoronto
December 24th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Just to combat the naysayers, I am running Xubuntu 15.10 on an Acer Aspire One (1 GB) with no issues at all. I mostly use the computer for downloading and playing podcasts, but it's also a tiny file server, and I have used it as a remote camera.

MAFoElffen
December 24th, 2015, 02:52 AM
One issue not mentioned-- there were many versions of the Acer Aspire One. Early ones have a bug booting from an SD card. Acer had a BIOS firmware update that corrected that...

And if you have an issue with boot order, press <F12> on bootup to bring up the boot menu.