PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have never installed Ubuntu lts on a Windows system - assistance please

michael-piziak
December 13th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I have downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 lts and I have a usb stick in the hp laptop.

This computer has Windows 7 Home Premium on it and is an HP notebook that has ALTEC inscribed on it and has the Premium Vision AMD sticker on it (processor I'm sure).

Tell me

1) What do I need to do first, like do I need to format this usb thumb drive (I can't figure out how to).

2) Which app or program on Windows do I make the USB stick a bootable usb stick?

3) Well, there is no #3, I can take it from there.

Michael Piziak, B.S, M.A.

michael-piziak
December 13th, 2015, 12:40 PM
During the download of the suggested installer to put Ubuntu on the USB stick,

I get an error message that it can not install correctly.

Another MS Windows road-block?

hmmmm

brian-mccumber
December 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM
There are a couple ways to do this, you can use the Windows command line or a third party software. I used Universal USB installer when I created my bootable Ubuntu USB drive using Windows to replace Windows, it worked like a charm the first time.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

When you do get it made, I would suggest running the live version first to make sure that Ubuntu runs well on your hardware before you install it. It will save you some headaches if your hardware has compatibility issues.

yancek
December 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Generally, usb drives used for this purpose are formatted with the windows FAT32 filesystem which you should be able to do with the Disk Management tool on windows 7. There aren't any tools on windows you can use so you will have to download something like pendrivelinux suggested above or unetbootin for windows. Basic instruction on their respective pages.