PDA

View Full Version : Recursively searching and converting WMA files to MP3

Spency
December 13th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Hi all,
I'm a bit of a programming noob and would greatly appreciate anyones input. I'm trying to help a buddy out who has a pretty vast collection of WMA music files, organized into different sub directories of the Music directory. What we want is a script or program that can recursively go through sub folders and convert WMA files to MP3, and then delete the WMA files.

We started off with soundconverter (http://soundconverter.org/) - it froze everytime we tried, and we tried it on 3 different machines 1 14.0.4 and 2 different 15.10 systems. Besides, even if it did work it wouldn't do what we wanted.

Next we hit this page (http://askubuntu.com/questions/55352/convert-library-of-wma-tracks-to-mp3s/55469#55469) and found some code that seemed very promising.

#!/bin/bash
current_directory=$( pwd )

#remove spaces
for i in *.wma; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr ' ' '_'`; done

#remove uppercase
for i in *.[Ww][Mm][Aa]; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`; done

#Rip with Mplayer / encode with LAME
for i in *.wma ; do mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm -waveheader $i && lame -m s audiodump.wav -o $i; done

#convert file names
for i in *.wma; do mv "$i" "`basename "$i" .wma`.mp3"; done

The thing is, this doesn't recursively search through sub directories for WMAs to convert, otherwise it does exactly what we want. At a distance, it seems like it would be an easy line of code to get this script to recursively search multiple subdirectories directories. Is anyone willing to help us out?

Vaphell
December 13th, 2015, 02:11 AM
#!/bin/bash

shopt -s globstar

for f in **/*.[Ww][Mm][Aa]
do
path=${f%/*}
filename=${f##*/}
new=${filename// /_} # space -> underscore
new=${new,,} # lowercase
mv -v -- "$f" "$path/$new"
done

for f in **/*.wma
do
mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm -waveheader "$f" && lame -m s audiodump.wav -o "$f"
mv -v -- "$f" "${f/%.wma/.mp3}"
done

i typed the code here directly so test it well first on some sample files

Spency
December 13th, 2015, 02:20 AM
It works brilliantly! Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH!

Spency
December 16th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I spoke too soon... everything seemed to work, until we started trying to play some of the files on systems that did not accept wma. Shame on me for not checking the codecs of the newly created files. It seems all the script did was rename all the files with mp3.

Spency
December 16th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Turns out that piece of code I gave you was responsible for that.

This actually works though:

for i in *.wma ; do mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm:waveheader "$i" && lame -m j -h --vbr-new -b 320 audiodump.wav -o "`basename "$i" .wma`.mp3"; done; rm -f audiodump.wav

Only works on my 14.04 desktop, not on my 15.10 desktop, and doesn't delete the wma files. No idea where I found this.

Spency
December 16th, 2015, 11:23 PM
I tried to insert the code into you're script, and it's working but there's one issue....

#!/bin/bash

shopt -s globstar

do
path=${f%/*}
filename=${f##*/}
new=${new,,} # lowercase
done

for f in **/*.wma
do
mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm:waveheader "$f" && lame -m j -h --vbr-new -b 320 audiodump.wav -o "`basename "$f" .wma`.mp3"
rm -f audiodump.wav
rm -f "$f" "${f/%.wma}"
done

... the issue now is the mp3 files are being created in the main directory and not in the respective directory it's being converted from.

Spency
December 17th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Script seems to be now working:

#!/bin/bash

shopt -s globstar

do
path=${f%/*}
filename=${f##*/}
new=${new,,} # lowercase
done

for f in **/*.wma
do
mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -af resample=44100 -ao pcm:waveheader "$f" && lame -m j -h --vbr-new -b 320 audiodump.wav -o "${f%.wma}.mp3"
rm -f audiodump.wav
rm -f "$f" "${f/%.wma}"
done

Thanks to:
Vaphell (this post)|
Muru (from AskUbuntu (http://askubuntu.com/questions/710378/script-recursively-convert-wma-files-to-mp3-then-remove-wma-files))
Rory Aslop (from AskUbuntu (http://askubuntu.com/questions/55352/convert-library-of-wma-tracks-to-mp3s))
Unknown (see post details)