PDA

View Full Version : The pygame website is an example of what-not-to-do

jeff127
December 9th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I feel I should point this out - http://pygame.org/hifi.html

What a mess!

There are easy-to-read books on pygame (one is available as a free PDF) but to me C++ and libsdl is more appealing, at least libsdl can keep a clean front page (http://libsdl.org/). Python and pygame may be good technologies in certain ways, but when they appoint a daft web administrator, that puts me off completely. What the -bleep- was the design philosophy behind the pygame.org website? Was the concept to make it look trendy by adding twitter and reddit modules?

Somebody mucked around here instead of having a plan.

mystics
December 9th, 2015, 05:42 PM
While I agree that the website is horribly designed, I do have to ask: What is the point of this thread? If you have suggestions on how to improve the site design, then you'll certainly get further by contacting them.

RichardLinx
December 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I have to agree that it's a pretty convoluted design. But if there's one thing I've learned when it comes to FOSS, it's never judge a book by it's cover.

But yeah... Terrible web design. No arguments there.

benrob0329
December 9th, 2015, 08:22 PM
When I build a website (the few times that I do) I try to build it so that things are easy to get to, so that the site looks good, and so that the site is easy to use.

The Pygame website doesn't follow any of these...

What Pygame should do is use a real CMS like Drupal (Drupal 8 just came out and it's AWEOSME!) and find a nice theme to use, possibly even one with a nice slideshow (or add a slideshow, there are modules to do that).

jeff127
December 10th, 2015, 06:16 AM
When I build a website (the few times that I do) I try to build it so that things are easy to get to, so that the site looks good, and so that the site is easy to use.

The Pygame website doesn't follow any of these...

What Pygame should do is use a real CMS like Drupal (Drupal 8 just came out and it's AWEOSME!) and find a nice theme to use, possibly even one with a nice slideshow (or add a slideshow, there are modules to do that).

The best way to make the site easy, is to clean the front page of garbage, and get rid of plugins/modules for third-party sites. Drupal would look great.

It disappoints me when FOSS projects can't present themselves.