PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Hybrid Disks

Welly Wu
December 8th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Not too long ago, I purchased a new Western Digital Blue 3.5" SATA-III 6 GB/s 4.0 TB 5,400 RPM with 8.00 GB MLC NAND FLASH solid state hybrid disk for my 2015 ZaReason Zeto desktop PC system. I can confirm that it just works with Ubuntu 14.04.3 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux like any other disk drive. SSHDs are a compromise among price, performance, and storage capacity. You don't get the fastest or largest of either the SSD portion or the HDD storage capacity, but you do get a significantly lower price compared to higher capacity and faster SSDs or HDDs in direct comparison. What I like about mine so much is that it operates very much like a SSD more so than a HDD. It takes a few hours for the smart Western Digital caching algorithms to learn how I use my desktop PC system and it adjusts accordingly. After a week of using it, it feels snappy and responsive most of the time.

SSHDs are a good choice for those looking to upgrade their desktop or notebook PC speed and storage capacity for a modest price in direct comparison to using SSDs exclusively. Most of them use the slower 5,400 RPM spindle speed especially for 2.5" SSHDs because of the lower electrical power consumption and the quieter performance in real world applications. Desktop SSHDs usually use the faster 7,200 RPM spindle speed up to 2.0 TB while the 3.0+ models use the slower 5,900 or 5,400 RPM spindle speeds.

I trust Western Digital more than Seagate as I have had quite a number of them fail in the past while WD has been nothing if not utterly reliable over many years of heavy usage. SSHDs are noticeably slower than SSDs, but they are also noticeably faster than HDDs too. WD's Blue SSHDs come in 2.5" 1.0 TB and 3.5" 4.0 TB models at this time. I do recommend them over the Seagate SSHDs for long term reliability, but they are more expensive too.

SSHDs solve a problem that will persist until sometime in 2017 when the prices of SSDs will continue to drop gradually and 1.0 TB SSDs should be priced at around $170.00 USD. Until then, SSHDs fulfil a gap that exists nicely and I do recommend that other PC users consider using them as a stop gap measure until SSD prices and capacities get to the point whereby HDDs and SSHDs are obsolete.

mastablasta
December 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM
actually there is a online test of datacentre and looks like Hitachi are the most reliable. not sure who makes it for them (maybe WD), but anyway their design looks robust. at least when I was checking it. maybe new models give new numbers. and this was a test not on one disk but on over 500 disks if I remember correctly. as I recall WD were not show as that much better than Seagate. we'll I guess we'll see. WD were good on me too, but I went seagate on new ones.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 9th, 2015, 02:11 AM
on the note of pure SSDs i want one of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467
just waiting on the price to come down
* if anyone is wondering why it is so pricey look at the speed

Anything i can wait on goes on a mechanical drive here, anything else goes on my 32/60GB SSDs (old 32gb in desktop / less old 60gb in laptop)

Welly Wu
December 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I have owned several solid state disks in the past and they were all stupid expensive especially at higher capacities. I got tired of paying through the nose for solid state disks and I decided to go with solid state hybrid disks because of the significantly lower costs and the much higher capacities.

SSHDs feel more like SSDs than HDDs in my brief experience with them. I own both the Western Digital 1.0 TB and 4.0 TB SSHDs for laptops and desktop PCs respectively and I am thoroughly impressed with these two products. With my SSDs, Ubuntu 14.04.3 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux boots in seven seconds. With my SSHDs, Ubuntu boots in ten seconds. It seems to me that higher capacity SSDs are only getting more expensive while SSHDs are a good choice for price to performance ratio and value.

If you have a list of your favorite pieces of software, then SSHDs make a lot of sense because they will run nearly as quickly as SSDs for a fraction of the cost and they are several orders of magnitude more in terms of capacities than SSDs. SSHDs are surprisingly quick and the fluidity and responsiveness of your PC will improve when using them as your operating system drive or perhaps a dedicated gaming drive.

I think that there is a market for SSHDs and they will continue to evolve over time. It fulfills a niche market need for PC users that want a product that just works and has the right set of balanced compromises compared to SSDs.

hatuko
December 13th, 2015, 05:54 PM
I have tried an SSHD some time ago and wasn't impressed at all... I now use SSDs on all my computers and would never go back, especially since I bought a LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 for my main computer... what a speed monster :D