PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kali Launcher in Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

kwalton95
December 6th, 2015, 05:08 PM
In my opinion Kali Linux 2.0 is the cleanest looking linux distro but it's also not very "every day use" so I switched to Ubuntu, and as nice as Ubuntu is I prefer the look and feel of Kali.
I just want to know if it's possible to make Ubuntu look like Kali or at least get the launcher from Kali and put it onto Ubuntu.

Bucky Ball
December 6th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Welcome. Perhaps find out which desktop environment Kali uses and simply install that. :)

Update:

Better still:

Since Kali 2.0, we now support built in configurations for various desktop environments, including KDE, Gnome, E17, I3WM, LXDE, MATE and XFCE.

You may be able to install a Ubuntu flavour that uses the DE you were using by default. Which DE was your version of Kali using?

kwalton95
December 6th, 2015, 05:27 PM
You may be able to install a Ubuntu flavour that uses the DE you were using by default. Which DE was your version of Kali using?

I believe it was GNOME 3 Fallback mode

grahammechanical
December 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
As Kali is not an official member of the Ubuntu family then Kail specific software will not be available in the Ubuntu software repositories. So, it would not be possible to install Kali specific software without adding Kali repositories. And doing that might cause version conflicts with packages in the Ubuntu repositories.

On Ubuntu we can install gnome-session-flashback. That will give us 2 extras login options. Gnome Flashback (Metacity) & Gnome Flashback (Compiz) and with it comes the old Gnome 2 panel look. But I do not remember there being any launcher type thing with that look.

Regards.