PDA

View Full Version : I think I saw a version of ubuntu in virgin airlines

michael337
December 5th, 2015, 07:28 PM
the touch screens that are on the back of the neighbour’s seat has some version of ubuntu.
How do I know?
Well, first the stewardess had to restart the device, due to me running any game, the touchscreen stops responding, (NOTE: this was before I really was into ubuntu or any version of linux) she reboots it, seeing Tux on the top left corner occasionally. one of the games were called 'Vectoroids', and it was available in the ubuntu repository :p
so that proves that most kiosks that are public run AT LEAST Ubuntu or Slackware with a custom appearance.
anyone else believes?

yoshii
December 5th, 2015, 09:32 PM
interesting

user1397
December 6th, 2015, 02:15 AM
I saw the same thing on a United flight, saw the tux logo and white text on black background, seemed like a boot-up sequence. Not sure if it was ubuntu though, can't remember if I saw anything that said ubuntu so it could've been a bunch of distros really, or maybe even their own custom one.

michael337
December 6th, 2015, 06:59 AM
here's what it looked like:http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/P8080376.jpg
someone else took a picture of it, not me

SeventhGear
December 7th, 2015, 04:22 PM
the touch screens that are on the back of the neighbour’s seat has some version of ubuntu.
How do I know?
Well, first the stewardess had to restart the device, due to me running any game, the touchscreen stops responding, (NOTE: this was before I really was into ubuntu or any version of linux) she reboots it, seeing Tux on the top left corner occasionally. one of the games were called 'Vectoroids', and it was available in the ubuntu repository :p
so that proves that most kiosks that are public run AT LEAST Ubuntu or Slackware with a custom appearance.
anyone else believes?

It doesn't surprise me that airlines would be using Linux. They need to reduce cost anyway they can, and reducing software licenses can save a lot of money yearly.

buzzingrobot
December 7th, 2015, 04:45 PM
It doesn't surprise me that airlines would be using Linux. They need to reduce cost anyway they can, and reducing software licenses can save a lot of money yearly.

Ah, so that's why my tickets cost so much less these days. ;)

michael337
December 7th, 2015, 11:29 PM
actually, tickets are a bit much for me, they're too expensive for Christmas.

buzzingrobot
December 7th, 2015, 11:56 PM
actually, tickets are a bit much for me, they're too expensive for Christmas.

Perhaps you missed my weak attempt at irony? Or, was it sarcasm?

Software licensing fees are, I suspect, a trivial cost for the corporations who own airlines. Whether they use FOSS or commercial software, they're paying people to service and maintain and operate the software, and that's much, much more costly than license fees.

Meanwhile... fuel costs are down dramatically, airlines are merging and cutting routes, but ticket prices continue to rise.

michael337
December 8th, 2015, 04:23 PM
sry, it's harder to find sarcasm in chat.

vasa1
December 8th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Ah, so that's why my tickets cost so much less these days. ;)

Here we go again :(