PDA

View Full Version : Trek, Who, or Huh?

Buntu Bunny
December 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
(If you don't understand the question, then pick "Huh.") :D

coldraven
December 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Who, last week's episode was (as you youngsters say) awesome!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06rhv99/doctor-who-series-9-11-heaven-sent

user1397
December 6th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Definitely Who, but I also like Trek (well, at least the latest movies :P)

yoshii
December 6th, 2015, 03:29 AM
I don't like the recent Trek movies much. But i loved the tv shows. I did like much of Who, but the writing has suffered in the Capaldi era. Jenna's acting was really good and she helped keep it afloat so I don't really feel like watching it much anymore. I don't really get into the grumpy old man paradigm. I felt the previous Doctors were handled better in terms of script and casting. The younger fellows seem like a better idea also, although Matt Smith's character started to get wonky during the final two episodes which was frustrating... also due to the writing.

Sweet_Baby_Jamie
December 6th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Definitely Trek!

Buntu Bunny
December 6th, 2015, 03:36 PM
I don't like the recent Trek movies much. But i loved the tv shows. I did like much of Who, but the writing has suffered <snip> ... also due to the writing.

I agree that writing is key. And directing. I've seen good actors come across as stiff because of the writing. I was always a Trek fan until I started watching Doctor Who. Now if I could only pick one, it would be Who. For the most part, it's very clever.

I haven't given up on Star Trek though, and was pleased to see Noel Clarke in Star Trek Into Darkness. I just hope the Star Trek writers don't sacrifice good writing for CG sensationalism. That gets boring after awhile

help_me2
December 6th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I don't like the recent Trek movies much. But i loved the tv shows.
Same here. I remember the original series in the 60's, and still love it. The Next Gen is my second favorite, but not so much the other spin-offs. I used to watch Dr. Who in the 70's for a while, but lost interest.

Buntu Bunny
December 6th, 2015, 11:31 PM
The Next Gen is my second favorite, but not so much the other spin-offs.

I'd have to say that Voyager is my Trek fav. Enterprise my least.

I used to watch Dr. Who in the 70's for a while, but lost interest.

You absolutely need to watch the reboot (2005 onward). The earlier version was pretty boring by today's standards, but they've done an excellent job with the new version.

PJs Ronin
December 7th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Both. Each offers something unique but both take us out of the box of mediocrity.

SantaFe
December 7th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Anything Trek EXCEPT the 2 J.J. Abrams ones. They stunk and now he's gonna do it to Star Wars as well. :p

furtom
December 7th, 2015, 05:59 PM
DW and ST were my first loves. My era for DW was the 4th and 5th doctors. To me, Tom Baker is the ultimate Doctor. Re-watching them now, they do seem sometimes dated, but the charm is still there.

I don't like the recent Trek movies much. But i loved the tv shows. I did like much of Who, but the writing has suffered in the Capaldi era. Jenna's acting was really good and she helped keep it afloat so I don't really feel like watching it much anymore. I don't really get into the grumpy old man paradigm.

I'm with you here. The sunglasses and the strat were cringe worthy!

I have mixed feelings about the whole reboot. David Tennant was marvelous, of course. And Matt Smith had his moments, too. Peter Capaldi seems like he could be great. It just hasn't happened yet...

I'm not a big fan of Steven Moffat's writing. He goes off on tangents and is generally out of control. Yes, it's a "kid show," but it could be so much better. The show's lovable quirkiness has been abused and morphed into illogic and blatent ex machina.

I'd have to say that Voyager is my Trek fav. Enterprise my least.
Voyager was great, but I really got into DS9 as well. Enterprise had its moments, but it couldn't decide if it was a remake of the original or something new. Gene R. had a lot to do with that.

Anything Trek EXCEPT the 2 J.J. Abrams ones. They stunk and now he's gonna do it to Star Wars as well. :p
The Abrams Trek movies felt almost like a slap in the face at times, however, I dont (yet) feel pesamistic about his hand in the ST movies. That's a whole different thing. He may be good for it. We'll know soon, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

yoshii
December 9th, 2015, 07:27 AM
@furtom: yeah i very much agree with you on these things. you are insightful.

Sweet_Baby_Jamie
December 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I love Trek, including all of the movies. I'm puzzled by people's reactions to the J.J. Abrams ones though. It's not as if the timeline has never been messed with before, or alternate realities were unheard of before Abrams' movies. Even in several episodes of Next Gen, Voyager, and DS9 there were alternate timelines and realities. Why the offense at Abrams? I'm just curious.

furtom
December 9th, 2015, 04:03 PM
@furtom: yeah i very much agree with you on these things. you are insightful.

Signs of my misspent youth, no doubt. :)

I love Trek, including all of the movies. I'm puzzled by people's reactions to the J.J. Abrams ones though. It's not as if the timeline has never been messed with before, or alternate realities were unheard of before Abrams' movies. Even in several episodes of Next Gen, Voyager, and DS9 there were alternate timelines and realities. Why the offense at Abrams? I'm just curious.

I'm tempted to say, it's like jazz. If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer. But that's not polite. ;)

Messing with the timeline, is not, in of itself, the problem. But the whole feeling of those movies are just different. It's not "Star Trek" as we have always known it. It's just a high-budget SF movie that uses ST terminology and character names.

I admit, I don't have a strong, logical argument. It's entirely based on emotion. Maybe I'm just too old to accept the new paradigm.

lisati
December 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I'm not one for name dropping, but I briefly met Doctor McCoy, while he was still a paramedic on a soap opera. :)

furtom
December 9th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I'm not one for name dropping, but I briefly met Doctor McCoy, while he was still a paramedic on a soap opera. :)

I was about to say, "didn't DeForest Kelley do Westerns?" until I realized you must be talking about the new guy.

Yup, it's all passing me by now....

Wild_Duck66
December 10th, 2015, 01:33 AM
I watched trek in the 60's, no video recorders you could only watch it when the BBC reshown it. I thought TNG characters looked silly, pasty's on klingons, hair slide of Geordies face and drab colours. DS9 seemed too political and Voyager's captains voice lacked authority. Then along came Enterprise and within 20 minutes it was my favourite. I've got them all on dvd and watch them in order a few a day.(I'm retired)

Mike_Walsh
December 10th, 2015, 02:31 AM
I admit to being a fan of both.....although I agree with both help_me_2 and furtom. Trek I watched from the very beginning, in 1966.....and have thoroughly enjoyed everything 'Trek'-related ever since.

JJ's movies are simply a new take on an existing theme; nothing wrong with that. (But then, I confess to being an ardent sci-fi fan...)

Doctor Who; hmmm..... Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee & Baker were the epitome of the Doctors as far as I was concerned. After that, the series just started the long downhill slide into ridiculousness; and the re-boot stuff? Nah. It's just too crazy to be believable, I'm afraid. Smith, Tennant & Capaldi just didn't (and don't) seem to understand where Doctor Who is actually​ coming from. But I don't think it's really their fault; a lot of it is down to a younger, more modern generation of writers, who have their own, very definite ideas on the show's future. And in any case, I seem to recall there was supposed to be a limit to the number of times a Time Lord could 'regenerate', hmm?

Each to their own...... It's all an enjoyable release from humdrum reality, isn't it..?

(I'm also a died-in-the-wool Tolkien fan, too..!) :D

Regards,

Mike. ;)

furtom
December 10th, 2015, 02:50 AM
You are right of course. All of it. But I enjoyed Tennant. He's just a good actor.

If you like the Abrams movies, more power to you. But I just couldn't.

lisati
December 10th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Dr Who has its merits, even if it does come across as a tad silly at times. Patrick Troughton made an appearance in the pilot for Inspector Morse (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0611652/), in which he rang the police from a phone box. :D

ChuangTzu
December 10th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Like both and prefer the older versions of both. Although I am partial to Zoe being "Uhura". ;)

Mike_Walsh
December 10th, 2015, 06:11 PM
You are right of course. All of it. But I enjoyed Tennant. He's just a good actor.

If you like the Abrams movies, more power to you. But I just couldn't.

Don't get me wrong. Smith and Capaldi are both good actors.....especially Capaldi. You've only got to look at Peter Capaldi's portrayal of Malcolm Tucker in 'The Thick of it'; he's a fine actor, no doubt about it.

But I'm afraid that to me, the supreme satire on the inner workings of British politics will always be 'Yes, Minister'..!

Regards,

Mike. ;)

furtom
December 11th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Don't get me wrong. Smith and Capaldi are both good actors.....especially Capaldi. You've only got to look at Peter Capaldi's portrayal of Malcolm Tucker in 'The Thick of it'; he's a fine actor, no doubt about it.

But I'm afraid that to me, the supreme satire on the inner workings of British politics will always be 'Yes, Minister'..!

Regards,

Mike. ;)

Right! Which is why I blame Steven Moffat rather than Capaldi. I can feel his potential to be a great doctor, its just ... not .. happening... What a pity.

BTW, somehow, I'm missing the relevance of the "Yes, Minister" reference. Satire on British politics? How did that come in? :confused:

Mike_Walsh
December 12th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Hi, furtom.

My apologies; I tend to forget that a large proportion of the Forum's membership are on the other side of 'the Pond' to us! I was merely making illustration of another facet of Peter Capaldi's acting talent, with reference to his leading role as an individual in a BBC political satire, called 'The Thick of It':-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgrd

It's rather an oblique reference, to be honest; just as we don't understand the workings of the US government (and hence the comedy based on it), it's rather unfair to expect y'all to understand ours..!

'Twas merely an illustration; Peter Capaldi plays the lead role in the series....and he's very, very good at it. Again, my apologies!

Regards,

Mike. ;)

SantaFe
December 12th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I remember when the cable Tv channel BBC America used to show a lot of British shows, like Cash In The Attic, Bargin Hunt, both of which were my favs, and comedies like keeping Up Appearances & Are You Being Served. Now it seems like it's mostly Star Trek The Next Generation. :( It's not like there was a dearth of ST:TNG, it seems to be shown on a lot of channels. Just wish that BBC America would go back to it's roots and not American Tv roots.

wildmanne39
December 13th, 2015, 10:32 PM
I like who and trek.

furtom
December 14th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Hi, furtom.

My apologies; I tend to forget that a large proportion of the Forum's membership are on the other side of 'the Pond' to us! I was merely making illustration of another facet of Peter Capaldi's acting talent, with reference to his leading role as an individual in a BBC political satire, called 'The Thick of It':-

I see! I should have followed that.

We're all familiar with "Yes, Minister" over here, but not that one. Looks interesting.

Buntu Bunny
December 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
I like who and trek.

I like your current avatar.