PDA

View Full Version : M$ want's hackers to test vista !

MaximB
August 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
M$ want's hackers to test vista for bugs to make their OS better.

here are some links :
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060803/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_hacker_challenge
http://digg.com/tech_news/Microsoft_invites_hackers_to_test_Vista
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14181541/

what do you think ?

slimdog360
August 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
oh so now they want the communities help, and give what in return exactly???

MaximB
August 6th, 2006, 08:31 AM
in return - you will be one of the first users who see how it works
and maybe get a discount ;)

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
wow, could you turn down the zealotism a notch man.

I applaud Microsoft for trying to to make sure that Vista fixes one of the largest problems with their operating system, security. I'm happy they're taking it seriously, Security is the reason I left.

Skia_42
August 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Don't worry, there will always be security holes, MS can't fix everything. Especially if they want to release Vista by Christmas, what they are doing is an act of desperation.

shoagun
August 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
why do people care if windows improves? I hope it does improve. Just because windows gets better, it doesn't mean linux is any worse. Linux is great regardless of Windows' status.

beniwtv
August 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM
why do people care if windows improves? I hope it does improve. Just because windows gets better, it doesn't mean linux is any worse. Linux is great regardless of Windows' status.

Agree. However, after DRM, WGA and TC plans of M$,I'm not willing tu trust M$ anymore.

Virogenesis
August 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Years too late, great PR stunt, put a couple of black hat hackers to pick holes in it.......they then boast about how secure their crappy badly designed os is....Fantastic.

why the hell would anyone want to help such a dirty company its not like if they like you if they liked you they wouldn't bundle so much crap IMO.

Some are going to like, me myself I don't

G Morgan
August 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
This is madness, any real blackhat hacker would spend 5 minutes with the system and find some holes to report to MS then spend the rest of his time finding the best exploits he can sell to a Russian spam company. Just a PR stunt which in reality will hurt MS far more than it will benefit them.

MaximB
August 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
This is madness, any real blackhat hacker would spend 5 minutes with the system and find some holes to report to MS then spend the rest of his time finding the best exploits he can sell to a Russian spam company. Just a PR stunt which in reality will hurt MS far more than it will benefit them.

I trully hope so...

newbie2
August 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
This means anyone may make use of Mahesh's product using the validation key but would need to pay Microsoft a royalty a part of which would reach this shy lad from Palayamkottai in southern Tamil Nadu.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1761926,0008.htm
:twisted:

jeremy
August 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Why not wait and hack it when it's released (if that ever actully happens)! :???:

23meg
August 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The cathedral goes to the bazaar, right? It's not possible for hackers to be very concise and willing without the source of course.

It's notable that MS is finally expressing a belief in distributed development.

MaximB
August 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Why not wait and hack it when it's released (if that ever actully happens)! :???:

I suggested that on my first pose on this thread
but the moderators say we shouldn't incourage hacking and cracking.
so we have been warned !

23meg
August 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
We shouldn't encourage hacking on a linux forum? That would be like not encouraging cooking on a cuisinie forum.

TravisNewman
August 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM
"cracking" is the more correct term. Hacking, well, everyone in Linux developent hacks. Illegal hacking SHOULD be called cracking, but unfortunately people don't know it as such.

blastus
August 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM
But Windows is closed source. :rolleyes: As such, it is impossible to verify its behaviour to the same breadth and depth that the behaviour of Linux can be verified.

Without an analysis of the source code, the behaviour of software cannot be fully understood. Without the source code, software cannot be adequately tested (unit, integration, regression etc...)

TravisNewman
August 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM
which is why the open source model is more secure by design-- regardless of the people who say it's all because there aren't enough people using it to justify making an exploit.

dvarsam
August 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
in return - you will be one of the first users who see how it works
and maybe get a discount ;)

So, maybe I will say:

Choose Me!!!!
I am a very good hacker!!!

Then, not do anything & say:

Your OS is soooo fantastic with no holes & stuff!!!

Signed by: MR. Dude Hacker
(or even "Military General Hacker" - with lots of "hacker/brave" medals!!!!)

And then say:

Can I now get the Discount please?

Thanks M$!!!

bionnaki
August 8th, 2006, 01:44 AM
am I the only one who thinks that MS wants its OS to remain insecure so they can peddle anti-malware products or at the least create an industry of such products and services to serve as foundation for their OS? It makes perfect economic sense.

%hMa@?b<C
August 8th, 2006, 01:57 AM
are we talking about windows "duke nukem forever" vista here?
everyone knows it will be never released if they want to patch all of the bugs
lol