PDA

View Full Version : Which "Windows" (7, 8, or 10)?

Connelley
December 3rd, 2015, 12:19 AM
It's been a while since I attempted to install Ubuntu on a desktop computer. Since I am going to purchase a new computer, what Windows Operating System would be the least challenging (if any) to install Ubuntu on? I realize that's a can of worms, but I have to start somewhere. I can't afford to get a dedicated system like a System 76.

oldfred
December 3rd, 2015, 12:57 AM
None are as easy as back in XP days.
And it is my understanding Microsoft may update everyone to Windows 10. They were going to force it, but may have temporarily backed off for now, since a few issues have appeared. But some issues are not that unusual with any operating system including Linux.

Issue may be more how new of hardware?
If not buying the very newest bleeding edge, Linux will install with any of the in either BIOS or UEFI boot modes. Most Windows 7 systems are BIOS boot even if hardware is UEFI, so you have to make sure to always boot in the 35 year old BIOS mode.
All Windows 8 & 10 systems from vendors are UEFI. See more details on not so simple install process in link below in my signature.
Just about any major brand will work, some better than others.

grahammechanical
December 3rd, 2015, 03:58 AM
It is very simple to install Ubuntu on most machines. The complications come if we still want to keep the OS we paid for when we purchased the machine. If we only want Ubuntu on the machine then choose the Erase disk & install Ubuntu option.

Image #4 is a little out of date. It should show these 5 options.

Install Ubuntu alongside
Erase disk & install Ubuntu
Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security
Use LVM with the new Ubuntu installation
Something else.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

Regards

SeventhGear
December 3rd, 2015, 03:35 PM
If you are going to be dual booting, I say stick with 8.1 if you can find it. If you are going to wipe and start fresh, get the latest and greatest. MS is doing a huge push to get everyone to Win10. I have tried Win10, and it isn't bad but it really reminds me of Vista as how things just don't work right.

coldraven
December 3rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
I keep seeing posts on this forum where Windows updates break dual boot systems. I don't know if the following is possible but my plan would be this:
Get a Widows 10 box.
Generate a restore DVD
Check that it works
Delete Windows
Install Ubuntu
Run Windows in a virtual machine

Would my plan work? Hopefully someone will tell us.

RobGoss
December 4th, 2015, 01:11 AM
I've been using Windows for years and for the pass year I almost moved away from Windows completely. I installed Ubuntu on all 5 of my machine and at the moment I only have Windows 10, installed on one machine. It's my option Windows 10 is a big improvement and runs very smooth the way Windows should run. I read one of the post in this thread were someone compared Windows 10 to Vista it's no comparison because vista was the worst OS I have every used.

On a short note Ubuntu is very easy to install and runs GREAT as a dual boot side by side with Windows. I wish you the best of luck with what ever way you go.

SeventhGear
December 4th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I keep seeing posts on this forum where Windows updates break dual boot systems. I don't know if the following is possible but my plan would be this:
Get a Widows 10 box.
Generate a restore DVD
Check that it works
Delete Windows
Install Ubuntu
Run Windows in a virtual machine

Would my plan work? Hopefully someone will tell us.

Your plan should work. I did something similar with my home PC to try Windows 10. I didn't have any issues running Win10 on VirtualBox. I realized that Windows 10 wasn't for me and deleted the VM.