PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HDMI connected display doesn't work as expected

williepabon
December 2nd, 2015, 02:17 AM
Hi!
I have a laptop (HP Pavilion dm4) with Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04(32bit). In Win7 mode I can connect an external display (a TV set) using the hdmi port. It is automatically detected by the OS and I can configure it to either mirror displays (both the laptop screen and the TV screen show the same thing) or external display only (laptop screen is turned off and the external display shows the full content). No problem. I was expecting the same behavior when login in to Ubuntu, but it didn't happen. When setting to mirror displays both show the background image but any app I open (a browser or whatever) only show in the laptop screen. I can move the app window to the external display, though. The mouse exists in one display only, though I can move it to either display. Setting to external display only doesn't work (no turning off of laptop display, no full content, mouse and everything on external display).
Is there a solution for this? Ubuntu is my main OS and it is annoying to switch to Win7 whenever I want to see content from my laptop on the TV screen. Thanks for any help on this.

SeventhGear
December 2nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
I had similar issues with my desktop, I was able to resolve them by adjusting the resolution for my secondary monitor (LG 42" tv). For some reason Ubuntu was detecting it as 1080 rather than a 720.

Have you tried to disable screen mirroring? What is the setting for your Launcher Placement? Can you verify that your secondary monitor is using the correct resolution?

williepabon
December 2nd, 2015, 06:21 PM
SeventhGear:

Thanks for answering. I will retest my setup to investigate your suggestions and will let you know my findings.Thanks.

SeventhGear
December 7th, 2015, 03:12 PM
SeventhGear:

Thanks for answering. I will retest my setup to investigate your suggestions and will let you know my findings.Thanks.

Any luck getting this resolved?