PDA

View Full Version : DBUS messed up

alex367
December 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I was installing the RPM package and in the middle of the installation my network connection disconected.
I restarted and... no X, i did a start x and no success. It looks like a problem with the dbus.

So, lets try to sudo apt-get install dbus --reinstall..... ERROR (Dependencies problem.. run sudo apt-get -f install).

Nice, lets do that.... Error trying to configure fontconfig.

I cannot reinstall the fontconfig or do nothing because the apt-get WANTS me to do an apt-get -f install and it fails (of course).

So, lets take a look in the fontconfig logs... there is a symbol problem, probably some library, but i cannot do a single thing, i tried to find the font cache folder, no luck, i looked if there was a newer version of the library on my system... that is so frustrating.

I tried to do an apt-get clean apt-get autoremove (asked for apt-get -f install).

Is there a way to fix that?

ian-weisser
December 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
We need to see each of those complete error messages, in context. Preferably in order.
The error messages contain valuable information to help diagnose the problem.
Please use [code] tags to contain the output.

alex367
December 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Humm, actually that will be hard, I am on the same machine that is messed, I cannot copy and paste or boot from another machine. BuI i agree with you. Actually the problem now is that I cannot do an apt-get update, because it fails on the configuration step (because it cannot find some symbols when it tries to regenerate the font cache). so i cannot do an apt-get -f install because it will try to configure the fontconfig.. again.

alex367
December 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM
The error

/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts: caching, new cache contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/share/fonts/type1/mathml: caching, new cache contents: 1 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/local/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 0 dirs
/.local/share/fonts: skipping, no such directory
Re-scanning /usr/share/fonts: fc-cache: symbol lookup error: fc-cache: undefined symbol: FcDirCacheRescan

ian-weisser
December 1st, 2015, 03:09 PM
Re-scanning /usr/share/fonts: fc-cache: symbol lookup error: fc-cache: undefined symbol: FcDirCacheRescan

Try reinstalling (or upgrading) libfontconfig1

The middle of an upgrade is lousy time for the package manager to abort.
Could be all kinds of problems caused by that...or none.

alex367
December 1st, 2015, 03:37 PM
That is the problem, the apt-get does not allow me to install a single package, it tells me to finish the pending instalations with apt-get -f install, so i cannot install the library :(

ian-weisser
December 1st, 2015, 07:50 PM
Please show us the actual error message.
There is often a workaround.

For example, you can manually delete the version(s) of libfontconfig1 in /var/cache/apt/archives, then download a fresh one from http://packages.ubuntu.com, and do the reinstall with dpkg instead of apt.