PDA

View Full Version : running a python script in eric

tim141
November 30th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Hey All

total newbie question here...;)

I have been trying to run a few python scripts - just simple ones to import a csv and then create a graph.

such as:

import csv
data_file = "/media/sf_shared/income_dist.csv"
with open(data_file, 'r') as csvfile:
reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
data = list(reader)

I have been running it in the terminal window through the python interpreter - but found it hard to not make a mistake sometimes in the longer scripts - and had to keep going back to the start of the script (if there is a way to undo a missed indent etc please tell me! )

thought it would be easier to do in an IDE such as eric but when I copy the script like that into eric, and press run it comes up with an error - terminated with exit status 0.

Obviously I have no idea what im doing. If anyone could steer me in roughly the right direction, would be much appreciated.

cheers
Tim

tim141
November 30th, 2015, 09:12 PM
ok so im learning that you can do this, just by running this and it appears in the shell window. much easier than just editing in the shell itself

import csv
data_file = "/media/sf_shared/income_dist.csv"
with open(data_file, 'r') as csvfile:
reader = csv.DictReader(csvfile)
data = list(reader)

print len(data)

print reader.fieldnames

oldfred
November 30th, 2015, 11:13 PM
I have not used eric recently, but do use geany. I had to change a few settings to convert tabs to spaces (3 different places) and then it works pretty well. I just copy some code from Internet, save as .py and run it. Terminal shows errors or if error is 0 then it ran correctly, but not necessarily with the results expected.