PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 14.04

waltwin
November 30th, 2015, 04:44 AM
I have been using 12.04 for sometime without any problems. A few days ago I lost my internet connection and I believe that it is a motherboard problem.

I purchased two different wifi devices that were supposed to work with ubuntu to restore my internet connection. Just plug them into a usb slot and I would be back on line. Of course they didn't connect. The manufacture suggested that I go to their website and download s a driver. Pretty tough to do when I have no internet connection.

I searched this forum and some comments stated that these devices would work with newer ubuntu installations. I have ubuntu 14.04 installed on this machine, so I attempted to install it on my defective machine but it won't install. It looks like it will work but stops before I reach the screen that asks if I want to install or try ubuntu.

Any assistance will be appreciated. I would prefer not to go back to windows.

waltwin

grahammechanical
November 30th, 2015, 05:25 AM
For your information. Installing Ubuntu works best if we have an internet connection. Which you do not have unless you can connect with ethernet. In this way drivers for WiFI can be downloaded during the installation process.

If you can connect by ethernet then you can go to Additional Drivers and that utility might offer a driver for those WiFi devices. So, you have to decide which problem you want help solving. Is it:

a) Getting a WiFi device working

or

b) Get the 14.04 live session to run and installing without an ethernet connection.

Regards.

waltwin
November 30th, 2015, 06:09 AM
a) Getting the wifi device working.

Bucky Ball
November 30th, 2015, 06:17 AM
This is getting confusing.

If you want help getting wifi working in 12.04 LTS you should post a new thread in Networking and Wireless. I moved this to Installation and Upgrade, but just read your last post and your objective now has nothing to do with the title or location of this thread.

If you want help installing 14.04 LTS, by all means, deal with it here, but to help your chances of support with that issue and improve your chances with the 12.04 wireless one, leave out wireless issues with 12.04 LTS and post a new thread about that, please. :)

waltwin
November 30th, 2015, 07:02 AM
I would like to get the 14.04 live session to run and installing without an ethernet connection.