PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing nautilus by krusader completely

arnold255
November 26th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Hi every one, I am currently running ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit with unity as the default desktop environment, by default this unity uses NAUTILUS as the default file manager, I wanted to change the Nautilus and so installed KRUSADER file manager ( for the reason of twin panel in krusader ). So how can I make krusader the default file manager, replacing completely the nautilus.

With thanks.

monkeybrain20122
November 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM
I don't know about Krusader, but the general procedure is probably the same: install the replacement file manager and makes it the default. Here are the instructions for replacing Nautilus with nemo.http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/install-nemo-with-unity-patches-and.html

The only part that should concern you is the section Optional: set nemo as the default. Now bear in mind that some functions may not work well if Krusader doesn't play well with the rest of the DE, as you see from the article some work arounds are required to use nemo as an alternative file manager, but those work arounds would obviously specific to what you want to replace Nautilus with. Since nemo is a nautilus fork it is probably simpler than if you know something totally different.

BTW, nemo also has twin panel if you mean a side panel.

arnold255
November 27th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Thank you for your effort,

Before shifting to Krusader, I tried NEMO, and the article you linked works well in case of setting nemo the default file manager, but nemo didn't fulfill my dreams as it forces me to manually switch twin panel view every time you launch it. I have tried those procedures in the article to set KRUSADER as default file manager, and looks as if it is only partially set because when you plug in a device let say a thumb drive, nautilus takes control over Krusader.

Bucky Ball
November 27th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Please use the default font size. Using large or bold font for an entire post is considered shouting. I have edited your last two posts. Thanks.