PDA

View Full Version : A "Thank you" on Thanksgiving Day

Enigma12
November 26th, 2015, 08:23 PM
On this Thanksgiving Day that the USA sets aside for us to reflect on all that we have to be grateful for, I would like to state my appreciation for ALL those people around this planet who have contributed to create this wonderful Linux computer operating system and the programs that run on it.

Also thank you to the moderators and other very helpful people on these forums who graciously share their knowledge and advice to those of us who are less proficient now than they are and the bloggers and writers who also donate their knowledge.

I am sure that others feel the same way as I do.

Enigma12

Irihapeti
November 26th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Moved to the café because it's not a support thread.

Thanks for the sentiments!

portalhavoc
November 26th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I'm thankful for my friends and my family for helping me out in all of the work that I do. :)

poorguy
November 27th, 2015, 01:31 AM
hey everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving.

i would like to thank all the people on this forum / Moderators / Forum Volunteers / and anyone else who is involved with giving help on this forum.
i would also like to say that i really appreciate you guys putting up with all of my irritation that i know i have caused but through all of that irritation i have learned so much about linux.

thanks.

the poorguy

yoshii
November 28th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks so much to the developers for support and cooperation and optimism and vigilance in all this stuff.

stephen91
November 29th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to the USA

RichardET
November 29th, 2015, 12:29 PM
On this Thanksgiving Day that the USA sets aside for us to reflect on all that we have to be grateful for, I would like to state my appreciation for ALL those people around this planet who have contributed to create this wonderful Linux computer operating system and the programs that run on it.

Also thank you to the moderators and other very helpful people on these forums who graciously share their knowledge and advice to those of us who are less proficient now than they are and the bloggers and writers who also donate their knowledge.

I am sure that others feel the same way as I do.

Enigma12

Great; do you donate regularly? I donate small amounts to Canonical, OpenBSD, FreeBSD throughout the year; Theo states that if OpenBSD Foundation had just $5 for every download of OpenBSD, that project would always be able to operate normally and actually plan new development.

styx4
November 29th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks to the mods for quick replies to our issues! I've never been left waiting
for long. Also, for those who did not know what OpenBSD was, you probably
should if your are using anything Linux.

http://www.openbsd.org/

Cheers.

mastablasta
November 30th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I still do not understand this holiday. read about it but still don't get the logic behind it. :) I guess a family holiday it would seem. and shopping opportunity.

RichardET
November 30th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I still do not understand this holiday. read about it but still don't get the logic behind it.

It's just a traditional American holiday, which was based around the autumn feast, and supposedly began in the 17th century. Most people did not survive the harsh weather here in N. America, thus obviously they were "thankful" just to be alive. Fast forward to now, and this holiday is just a typical commercially centered holiday focused on shopping and American football. I don't have much family, and I hate sports, so I am b-o-r-e-d on these annual Thursdays, but i do enjoy the endless rounds of IPA's.

The Cog
November 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM
but i do enjoy the endless rounds of IPA's.
I can't think of any meaning for IPA other than being a make of beer. So endless rounds of IPAs sounds rather good.

mastablasta
December 2nd, 2015, 11:15 AM
It's just a traditional American holiday, which was based around the autumn feast, and supposedly began in the 17th century. Most people did not survive the harsh weather here in N. America, thus obviously they were "thankful" just to be alive. Fast forward to now, and this holiday is just a typical commercially centered holiday focused on shopping and American football. I don't have much family, and I hate sports, so I am b-o-r-e-d on these annual Thursdays, but i do enjoy the endless rounds of IPA's.

ok now maybe I get it. we would probably called that a victory day and throw a parade. meh. holidays.

poorguy
December 8th, 2015, 12:26 AM
hey mastablasta,

HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING.

my apologies for my earlier statement as i meant no offense.
i forget that not everyone lives where i do and celebrates the same holidays.

life is good.
the poorguy

QIII
December 8th, 2015, 02:42 AM
Please bear in mind that those who live outside of the US are likely not familiar with the somewhat apocryphal origins of this American tradition -- or even terribly interested.

Bucky Ball
December 8th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Please bear in mind that those who live outside of the US are likely not familiar with the somewhat apocryphal origins of this American tradition -- or even terribly interested.

+1. Thanksgiving sounds like what we do at Christmas in Australia. Apparently there's not much of a song and dance about that in the US. Over here, it is the one day of the year the city shuts down. Even the pubs. Then and Good Friday.

Someone was telling me the other day Christmas day is a good day to go to the movies in the US. That would be totally unheard of here. For a start, the cinemas are probably shut and you would be sitting with family and friends eating and drinking too much.

Bucky Ball
December 8th, 2015, 04:30 AM

+1. Thanksgiving sounds like what we do at Christmas in Australia. Apparently there's not much of a song and dance about that in the US. Over here, it is the one day of the year the city shuts down. Even the pubs. Then and Good Friday.

Someone was telling me the other day Christmas day is a good day to go to the movies in the US. That would be totally unheard of here. For a start, the cinemas are probably shut and the norm is to catch up with family and friends and eat and drink too much. The next day, Boxing Day, is for cricket: the Boxing Day test.

A wonderful world full of different cultures and customs! That's our thanksgiving ... on a different day and with a different name and origin! :)

SantaFe
December 8th, 2015, 04:53 AM
The next day, Boxing Day, is for cricket: the Boxing Day test.
Over here in America, we call it Black Friday. Although judging by the amount of pushing & shoving we do in the stores, Boxing Day might just BE a better name for it. :D

Bucky Ball
December 8th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Over here in America, we call it Black Friday. Although judging by the amount of pushing & shoving we do in the stores, Boxing Day might just BE a better name for it. :D

Bump for haha, yea. Well, we have what we call the 'Boxing Day Sales' here. Traditionally a discount day which amounts to about the same as Black Friday, even if this years boxing day doesn't land on Friday!

Where a sumo suit, face mask and boxing gloves and you should survive it unscathed ...

mastablasta
December 8th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Someone was telling me the other day Christmas day is a good day to go to the movies in the US. That would be totally unheard of here. For a start, the cinemas are probably shut and you would be sitting with family and friends eating and drinking too much.

that's probably because it is summer on Christmas. no "winter magic".

Bump for haha, yea. Well, we have what we call the 'Boxing Day Sales' here. Traditionally a discount day which amounts to about the same as Black Friday, even if this years boxing day doesn't land on Friday!

Where a sumo suit, face mask and boxing gloves and you should survive it unscathed ...

we do not have sales after Christmas. not yet they come end of January as many people buy new year presents. for example we at home do not celebrate Christmas. But this guy will bring some presents to kids on new years eve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ded_Moroz

many people do celebrate xmas now, but usually the main presents are still for new year. in fact we have the "3 good men" nowadays of which 2 are St Nicolaus and one is the other guy. but explain that to the masses.

anyway sales are at the end of January and mostly they such. the only discount is on clothes. which are mostly cheap Chinese stuff. men's shoes . luck If you get 10% discount on too expencive shoes. Tech stuff - at most 20% discount for some USB sticks and SD cards. no one cares, sales are disappointed each year how there are no real masses shopping. it's our mentality - rather not sell it, than sell it too low. when they start selling it at low prices it is too late ( out of fashion, tech goes obsolete...)

Bucky Ball
December 8th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I'm enjoying these variations on a theme. :D