PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install Ubuntu on Compaq mini laptop from usb

philippe_lacombe
November 26th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to install Ubuntu onto my old Compaq mini laptop. I have checked and it meets the minimum hardware requirements. As i do not have a dvd reader in it, i have been trying to install it using a usb stick.

However, i keep having a write error during installation, and it always seems to happen at the page where you put in your name and a password for the system. I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit installers for both version 14 and 15 and none of them work. Also while the hardware on my laptop would normally dictate that i install the 32 bit, the 64 bit installer seems to work better, which is a bit weird, but it still comes up with same error.

Also, i have tried several usb sticks in case it was an issue with the stick itself, and only the 8GB stick i have comes up in the dos menu, my 32GB sticks dont even appear. (in all cases i pre-formatted the sticks in fat 32 mode and created a bootable usb using the tools provided on the site).

Anyone has ideas on this?

yancek
November 26th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Is your hardware 64bit? If so, you should be able to install either 32 or 64 bit but if it is not 64bit, you can only install 32bit.
What site and what tools are you referring to as using to create a bootable usb?
Did you do an md5 checksum to verify the download was good? You could also test the flash drive on another computer to see if it boots.

philippe_lacombe
November 26th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I believe my software is 32bit, but as i have erased the windows on it already its impossible to check. :-/ So ill stick to 32 bit install.

I used the bootable usb program provided at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ (this link comes from the ubuntu page http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows)l.

I have never heard of a md5 checksum, so i could use more info about that!

Testing the usb is a good idea, ill give it a shot.