PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 15.10 software updates causing sound issues

steve237
November 26th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Hi-

Just installed ubuntu mate on a new lenovo x250 and had some frustrating problems.

Installed the 15.10 AMD64 image successfully, and encountered a couple of sound-related problems, one of which I was able to find a fix for (not detailed here), the other for which I cannot find a complete fix for.

The problem for which I can not find a complete fix ONLY begins occurring after running software update, and does not occur if running from the unupdated 15.10 install.

The problem is as follows:

1) When headphones are plugged in, no sound is playing, AND the computer is running from batteries, the headphones produce a very loud static/hissing sound. This sound ceases when something is played or the GUI sound prefs panel is opened. This problem can be alleviated by commenting out the line "load-module module-suspend-on-idle" in /etc/pulse/default.pa.

2) When plugging headphones in while on AC, there is ~0.5 seconds of similarly very loud static. This is not the 'connection' popping sound that sometimes occurs when plugging in analog audio, but a (brief) sustained episode of static, also very loud. I have tried several fixes (generally involving changes to alsa-base.conf) that were suggested for similar problems on various forums, but they are not effective.

//

I did a fresh install to try to diagnose WHAT parts of the software updates were causing the above problems. I tried doing all of the updates except for several mpeg related updates (most obviously related to audio in my rather unsavvy understanding, see image below). If this is done #1 of the above problem *mostly* goes away, but the same loud static is head when unplugging the power cord, which would not occur with the aforementioned pulse fix. #2 above is not affected by bypassing those updates, and still occurs.

These audio issues are not untenable, but are highly suboptimal. Coming from several years on linux mint, where things never updated, I am not sure if this a hiccup that will probably disappear, or a note worthy bug. If anybody is interested, I am happy to provide more information about my system, settings, etc. But, I'm not sure what of those would be helpful here, so I don't want to just barf a bunch of terminal copypastes here if they won't be useful.