PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does not appear to be installed

dan205
November 23rd, 2015, 07:27 AM
Hi y'all

I downloaded the latest Ubuntu version on a USB stick. Then I used the Windows 7 Starter disc manager to shrink an existing partition. I then proceeded to install Ubuntu. It seemed to be going fine. After the 'apparent' installation, it restarted but it went straight into Windows. There was no boot option presented.

I tried another install. Same outcome.

How can I check if Ubuntu was actually installed? How do I fix this problem?

Thanks for all help.

Bucky Ball
November 23rd, 2015, 07:40 AM
Welcome. How are you installing it? Is Windows installed in UEFI? Is Ubuntu being installed in UEFI? Have you tried running Boot Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair)? If not, perhaps you could post the link it provides to your bootinfo and we can have a look.

If you've installed with no errors and it boots into Windows, don't waste time with another install. That is doubtful the issue. It would be a problem with the boot manager. The more installs you do, the more chance there is of screwing something up and wiping Windows, or worse, valuable data. :)

Run boot repair and let's have a look at that output before reinstalling again.

dan205
November 23rd, 2015, 08:14 AM
I checked if my laptop runs UEFI. No.

Boot repair next?

Bucky Ball
November 23rd, 2015, 09:17 AM
Yep. Give it the recommended repair or use the option to install grub to sda. Make a note of the link it gives you at the end and if you're still having issues post it here.

dan205
November 23rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
It worked! Thanks, Bucky! :D

Bucky Ball
November 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Excellent news! Which worked? The recommended repair or installing grub to sda method?

Please mark the thread solved to help others (first link in my signature). :)