PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on a new SSD through the hotswap bay on my desktop?

asher3
November 23rd, 2015, 06:47 AM
I am looking for an answer as to whether I can put an SSD into my hot swap drive bay and install an operating system to it prior to installing that drive in a laptop. I am just thinking that my desktop would be able to do all of this much more efficiently than the laptop would. I also am looking to make the installation of this new drive as seamless as possible because I am trying to use this upgrade to teach my little sister a little bit about computers and I don't want to have her loose interest.

Bucky Ball
November 23rd, 2015, 07:19 AM
Yes, it is, but why would that be more efficient than doing it in the machine it is going to permanently live in??? Better off just burning install media, leaving the SSD where it is (or putting it in the laptop), booting from the install media (DVD or USB) and installing to the SSD.

This is actually more efficient than swapping the SSD around and then perhaps having a problem or two when you put the install in a completely different machine (which may require completely different wireless and graphics drivers in which case you're going to need to get rid of any of these drivers you have installed and install the correct ones for the new machine). :)