PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Braun and hello to Norelco [electric shavers]

michael-piziak
November 21st, 2015, 01:26 AM
Years ago, in the early 90's when I was in college, both my roomate of German origin and I had Braun electric shavers that were made in Germany.

Low and behold my $70 Braun shaver that my mother bought me at Walmart is made in *China* Arrgh!

I wanted a Braun because I like it is made in Germany - not now.

A Norelco razer she bought me first was made in the U.S.A. but I told mom to trade it for a Braun - which was $20 more.

Now I will trade the Braun for the Norelco!

I like things made in Japan, Germany, USA, most European countries, Australia, etc.... I'll choose something that is not made in China if I have the choice !

tgalati4
November 21st, 2015, 04:30 AM
I bought a pair of Halcro nail clippers for $2 at a garage sale. Made in Germany. They looked brand new. They will cut through anything. I still have the Wahl Taper hair cutter that my mother gave me. Made in 1966 in the US. She would use the #2 to give us buzz cuts when we were kids. Still works. I use it to trim my neckbeard.

Neckbeards for freedom!

michael-piziak
November 21st, 2015, 04:37 AM
I bought a pair of Halcro nail clippers for $2 at a garage sale. Made in Germany. They looked brand new. They will cut through anything. I still have the Wahl Taper hair cutter that my mother gave me. Made in 1966 in the US. She would use the #2 to give us buzz cuts when we were kids. Still works.

Yep, I like anything made in Germany, Japan, Western Europe, or the U.S.

I was actually quite surprised that the brawn shaver was made in China, especially considering how much I paid extra for it, like $25 more than the Norelco made in America.

I will pay extra to buy something not made in China every day and all day long.

There are *so many* old companies that made things out of China, but now have moved their production lines to China. And Walmart in the U.S. has pushed this further - one example is the "Old Timer" knive that was always made in the USA but Walmart told them to lower their price or lose their spot on Walmart's shelf - now Old Timer knives are made in China.

Not before long, we will only be able to get products made out of China, like your 1966 Wahl cutter.

Have a great night!

Michael

CharlesA
November 21st, 2015, 06:52 AM
Practically everything has some component made in Taiwan or China or somewhere else where labor is cheap.

The price of the product has little meaning on where it is made. For the most part, manufactures will assemble a product anywhere as long as it saves them money.

I even have some pretty nice looking Polystone statues that were made in China. Just because something is not made in the US, does not mean the quality is lacking.

mastablasta
November 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
the problem is not just the components. when they try to save on labour force it's is not just on that - they would also try to save on material. on everything. to maximise profit. so they stick a known brand to crappy goods. not always but often. and people in the west are prepared to pay premium for some devices like iPhones.

and not all is bad from China or SE Asia countries. in fact some stuff that is made there, their local brands are on par or better with western ones. you have Xiaomi phones which are actually quite well made. when I visit Indonesia I usually go with nearly empty suitcases and all buy clothes there. locally made. you won't believe how good shirts, pans or t shirts you can get there for 1/3 the price. I mean they are awesome - easy to iron, almost no wrinkling, quality made stiches. I also have business suits hand made for 1/10 the price. Fantastic material, great made. everyone thinks it's branded. :-D but it's an 80 USD suit. of course you can also get the really cheap stuff and I can see that this cheap stuff often get's exported, rebranded and sold at higher price here in Europe. but for some reason the quality things that are made in that region don't get so much notice in Europe. which is a bit strange.

like you only have really bad made toys from China in all the shops here. but sometimes I would order something directly from china free shipping and all and I keep wondering why they do not sell this better stuff here. why only the bad made ones. well the better made stuff doesn't bring in as much profit that's why. and that's why China is slowing down. even at home people got tired of buying badly made goods. I mean my kid played with a car for less than 2 hours and it already started to fell apart.

and now I hear Lego is moving to China... bad idea.