PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing a ssd in a laptop

nevets68
November 15th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I have a Asus X551MAV ( the model with the built in dvd drive...apparently asus makes this same model sans the drive.)

Anyways , I'm going to get myself a samsung evo ssd drive next week. I'll do a fresh install of ubuntu 14 lts. Are there anything (or things) i need to do before hand?

Hopefully it will be - 1. install ssd (although asus made it difficult as you had to remove like 9 screws from the bottom of the laptop. Then remove the keyboard. 2. Just install Ubuntu.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks one and all.

Vladlenin5000
November 15th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Yes, just install as you usually would with a mechanical disk. Currently there are no significant differences warranting special partitioning or whatever. The installer will take care of all the relevant specific aspects of the SSD, like adding a fstrim weekly cron job.

nevets68
November 15th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Yes, just install as you usually would with a mechanical disk. Currently there are no significant differences warranting special partitioning or whatever. The installer will take care of all the relevant specific aspects of the SSD, like adding a fstrim weekly cron job.

Thank you (and wish me luck.) :)

nevets68
November 16th, 2015, 09:38 PM
UPDATE : So i got a samsung evo 250 gig ssd. I think the hardest (and scariest) part for me was opening (rather like - prying) open the keyboard cover (removing the 9 screws was easy peasy.) Installed the ssd , reinstalled the keyboard, put back the 9 screws and booted off my trusty (get it?) 14.04 dvd.

All is good ! :D

Vladlenin5000
November 16th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Great :-)

Enjoy your much faster system.
Now you can also use the thread tools to mark this one as solved.